Highlighted

Exporting to video causes Animate to crash

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a .fla animate file created in Adobe Animate and when I try to export as SWF it causes Animate to crash.  Steps I follow:

File-->Export-->Export Video/Media...-->the loading progress bar shows and reaches 100%, then immediately Adobe Animate crashes

Animate Version: 20.0.2 Version 22168

The file I am attempting to export is ActionScript, 514 MB, 15-min animated cartoon (sharing file here https://adobe.ly/3epGdFz)

In researching I have come across various hypothesis:

a) having symbols that contain animation within-the-symbol causes failure

b) mp3 music files cause failure

Any other suggestions or advice welcome!

Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting to video causes Animate to crash

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a .fla animate file created in Adobe Animate and when I try to export as SWF it causes Animate to crash.  Steps I follow:

File-->Export-->Export Video/Media...-->the loading progress bar shows and reaches 100%, then immediately Adobe Animate crashes

Animate Version: 20.0.2 Version 22168

The file I am attempting to export is ActionScript, 514 MB, 15-min animated cartoon (sharing file here https://adobe.ly/3epGdFz)

In researching I have come across various hypothesis:

a) having symbols that contain animation within-the-symbol causes failure

b) mp3 music files cause failure

Any other suggestions or advice welcome!

Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also one more note:

1) When I "test scene" for each individual scene (Control-->Test Scene) - each scene individually loads as an SWF succesfully and plays without issue

2) When I "test" the whole movie (Control --> Test) - then Animate crashes

3) When I try to export the whole file (File-->Export-->Export Video/Media...-->) - then Animate crashes

I do not understand why each individual scene converts successfully but then when converting all together it crashes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

If you delete this Scene - MUSIC_FULL_sad - your file exports fine.

Clipboard-1.png

I will also suggest you clean up your file by going to the Library hamburger menu and choosing "Select Unused Items" then deleting them.

Then save your file as XFL, then back to FLA. This will reduce file size down to ~160 MB.

--

Now a few more words for the future projects:

• Using Scenes is considered bad practice and should be avoided.
  • Using Motion Tweens should be avoided also. Use Classic Tweens instead.
  • Movie Clips should be avoided in non-interactive projects and only Graphic Symbols should be used.
  • Your Library is an absolute disaster.

If you are serious about getting good results out of Animate, here are some articles how you should organise your files for animation:

http://flash-powertools.com/workflow/

http://flash-powertools.com/character-rigging-for-flash-animation/

And some files that you can download to look into how they were made:

http://flash-powertools.com/tag/free-download/

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Wow - thanks very much for the great feedback/direction/troubleshooting!

This is my very first Animate project (or any Adobe) for that matter - so I welcome all the tips and recommendations.  As you can tell I was learning it as I was building it.  

I will check out those links and improve my approach for next project...again, greatly appreciated!

Jim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

First of all: Well done!

I thought it might be your first project and my critique is meant to bring improvement in the future.

In-between larger projects like this one, I'd suggest you do small animation exercises, like walk cycles, jumps, some short lip sync exercises, and so on.

Then apply the acquired knowledge and skills to your larger projects.

Here is also a link to a timeless book on animation which has entered the public domain:   https://animationresources.org/instruction-preston-blairs-advanced-animation/

I wish you all the best and successful completion of your first project!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Ok good advice.  I see there are a lot of simple foundational techniques that I need to master in doing those smaller exercises first.

Circling back for a second on my original problem.  Just curious, were you able to export my file successfully?  I still cannot. 

I have done the following:
1) I deleted "Scene - MUSIC_FULL_sad"

2) I removed all the unused symbols

3) When trying to save as XLF i receive error: "unable to save this file as XFL.  please try saving to a different filename or to a different location"  (I tried saving it as different name and to diff location but still error)

4) File size still showing 514MB and Animate crashing when try to export to SWF

Is your thinking that the primary problem is file size or something within the animation layers?

Jim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Jim,

Here is a ZIP with the cleaned up file and a SWF also so that you can see the export.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rmc3Ebz7ecVYtyNl4I7aVR9PFE1NIj_8/view?usp=sharing

I did not have the fonts used so all the text would be in Arial.

If this file still crashes on export, there may be other issues also, but works just fine on my machine, while it was crashing before that. Could be a memory issue. If this proves to be the case, I will advise you to start with a new file and one by one start copying the frames from all the scenes one by one to a single timeline.

After each paste save a version of the file and test publishing a SWF. If you get a crash, you've either reached a limit or there is something wrong in that scene.

If you need (RAM issue or whatever) export MOV/MP4 files in several parts and combine them in Premiere or other video program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Thank you again, your help here continues to exceed any expecations!

Getting the file to 160 MB was a huge help.

I've made some additional tweaks, cut down the length to 10 minutes, and have the .FLA in final-final version artistically (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Aa4dfe47b-8113-46fc-99b9-4e5e...)

I'm now again trying to export as SWF and run it through Media Encoder to convert it to some useable video format (my end goal is I need to publish this on Facebook for work).  Still Animate crashes upon export to SWF.

So I want to follow your suggestion above:

PLAN A

1) break the file down into smaller chunks (scenes of 5 to 10) and export only these scenes as SWF

2) Then run these through Media Encoder

3) Then combine them into one movie file using Premier

^am I understanding your suggestion correctly?

PLAN B
1) In other threads about this I found a user suggesting to make each scene an FLA file by running this script on each scene:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxplDXBQ7gXzdlEyMXgtSjYyaFE/view?usp=sharing

2) Then, export each scene to SWF

3) Then, run each scene through Media Encoder

4) Finally, combine all scenes in Premier

What do you think? 

Jim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I'm really sorry that you are still facing all these technical issues.

Just downloaded your file and I could publish a SWF for seconds without any issues on my computer. To publish SWF, I use Ctrl+Enter on the keyboard. That would be Control > Test from the menu.

Of course all the fonts are replaced, but apart from that it all works fine, I believe.

See if you can publish a SWF in this way.

If this works as a first option I would suggest you try Swivel - https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-resources/swivel

It's a small transcoder which allows the conversion of SWF files to video.

This will require no further editing and pain in Animate.

I'm just running a Swivel test on your published SWF here and it chews through it very successfully so far, but since your film is quite long it requires time. I will update you when the test is over, but wanted to reply right away.

If you can't publish a whole SWF you can go for other options.

Try your plan A first - basically delete scenes 21 to 60 and save the file under a new name; export video.

Then repeat that leaving 21-40 and again leaving 41 to 60.

If scenes still give you problems try what I suggested earlier - to cut and paste the frames from your scenes to a blank new file one ofter another on the main timeline without using scenes, say in 3 sections of 20 scenes and then export these to video from within Animate. Then join the videos in Premiere or other video editing software.

I don't know anything about that script, so I have no opinion on that method.

Finally, if all else fails, send me these fonts (neatly zipped together) and I will export the video for you.

Untitled-1.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps.

Swivel gets stuck at the fade in at Scene 55. 

Splitting the film into sections will be the best way to trouble-shoot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pps.

I separated into two SWFs - Scenes 1-50; Scenes 51-60.

Swivel rendered the video without any more issues.

I can upload this version for you, but the fonts are missing so it's pointless.

Anyway... if your computer can't handle it because of some limitation, I'll do it for you, mate, if you send me the fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Thanks for direction again!

I did try swivel but the quality seems a bit off and I also couldn't seem to be able to actually download a video file to then upload on Facebook.

So I went with Plan A which you mentioned:

I broke the 60 scenes into 3 FLA files of 20 scenes.

I also successfully saved each as SWF file (3 SWF files)
1) https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Ac17a41ac-0254-4c6a-9dc9-609d...

2) https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A3db1b5b3-d92c-4150-9cb4-4f74...

3) https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Ab8e071dc-09eb-4d13-bd3e-a088...

Next I needed to combine the 3 files into 1 video, so I used Adobe After Affect after reading guidance here https://helpx.adobe.com/animate/using/premiere-pro-effects.html

To do this:

1) I tried importing each FLA file to Adobe After Affect - however each time during import I receive message "an error occurred while importing this file. Please try again." (no success here)

2) Next, instead of importing the 3 FLA files, I imported the 3 SWF files.  This import worked, however since "SWF files are imported with an alpha channel. Audio is not retained" I lost all mp3/WAV music I had in the files when I exported to Media Encoder to make a video file.

So now I am unsure what next steps to create a movie with sound...but I have 3 working FLA/SWF files, so I feel like must be close.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

The first link is to a FLA instead of SWF. If I'm not mistaken the middle is missing (21-40).

Would you, please, make sure the 3 SWFs are available for download.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Jim,

Here is a render of the first third of your film at 1080p.

I think that the output quality is excellent.

No idea why you talk about downloading something from Swivel and quality not being good. Swivel is a standalone application producing high-quality video.

If the quality of the video above is satisfactory, please, upload the middle part SWF and I will render the whole film for you in MP4 with this quality.

Unfortunately, I have no idea why you are experiencing all these difficulties. There are a lot of possibilities for mistakes, if one does not understand digital video, codecs and so on. But could also be a combination of lack of knowledge and hardware limitations/incompatibilities.

Also, unfortunately, I do not have the time and patience to keep searching in the dark and guessing, even though I really wanted to help you with this. With the successful publish of the SWFs it has gotten out of the domain of Animate and into digital video territory.

I can do the job if you just upload the missing SWF and this will give you time to research and gradually learn under no pressure for your next project.

Take it or leave it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Understood on the above!  Agree it is a lack of knowledge primarily.

If it still stands I'll take you up on your last very generous offer to turn these 3 SWFs into 1 MP4 video:

SWF 1-20: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A1c0ea97f-d05d-4eff-b7b8-a398...

SWF 21-40: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A97ebf316-e823-4213-aa36-ad72...

SWF 41-60: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3Aa97d5620-6227-43f8-9807-acef...

Your help has been incredible.  Please let me know if there's anything I can do on my end as a favor!

Jim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 1
Guide ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Here you go, mate!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E-18Mwq_4VOkpCkU4NOpaCylOwIVmTdU/view?usp=sharing

(Let me know when you download the video to remove it from g-drive.)

I used Swivel to render the MP4. Ran it on a virual XP machine, just because this is where I have it installed. Took about an hour and a half to render at 1440x1080. I think that the technical quality is very good.

If you need lower resolution version, you can always run it through Adobe Media Encoder and get something smaller or more compressed.

Enjoy the fruits of your hard work!

All the best

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many many thanks, Nick!

I've dowloaded the video so can be removed from g-drive.  🙂 

Jim

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Adobe Animate has the option to export HD videos from Animate itself. So what you can do is, just export 60 scenes into 6 HD videos from Adobe Animate and import it to Premier and stitch it together as one video.

Using Adobe After Effects for editing videos is not advisable as it is a compositing software, primarily used for Visual Effects/Animation/Compositing etc and Adobe Premier is used mainly for editing videos.

If you can share your fla file, i can check and let you know what is stopping you from exporting. In Adobe Animate there is a limitation of number of frames that the file renders. If it crosses 16,000 frames, it causes errors. So I am not sure whether your file crosses that too.

Thanks,

Sabareesh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0