Highlighted

Fading Overlapping Symbols?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using animate since it was Flash 8 and a Macromedia program, and from what I remember, back then if I wanted to fade out multiple symbols that were overlapping, I'd group them up and tween their alpha to zero.

Imagine I have a red circle on layer 1, and I convert it to a movie clip, and make a keyframe on frame 10 and set its alpha to zero, then make a classic tween.  That red circle will fade out on its own no problems.

Now, imagine I create a blue circle that partially overlaps the red on a layer above the 1st, convert it to a movie clip, make a keyframe on frame 10 and set its alpha to zero, then make a classic tween.

These objects will fade to nothing at the same exact time, but as they do it, the place where they overlap will be pronounced as it fades.

What I remember doing back in the day, or at least what I was sure would fix this was grouping the objects together and then tweening their alpha, which would eliminate the overlap and they'd fade as one object cleanly.

I tried grouping the objects, putting them in a single movie clip, and had no luck.  There's a new feature in Animate called Convert To Bitmap, doing that flattens the symbols into a bitmap and that works for the time being, but I'm concerned about the quality of the graphics when reduced from a vector.

I'm trying to see if anyone can tell me how to do this the right way, this is a technique that has existed well before Flash was called Animate since back in the Flash 8 days.  I was under the impression that grouping the symbols would fix this issue but in Animate the bitmap conversion is the only way I can accomplish the fade without overlaps showing.

Please someone who has been using flash forever must know what I'm talking about.

TOPICS
How to, Missing feature, Other, Timeline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Fading Overlapping Symbols?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using animate since it was Flash 8 and a Macromedia program, and from what I remember, back then if I wanted to fade out multiple symbols that were overlapping, I'd group them up and tween their alpha to zero.

Imagine I have a red circle on layer 1, and I convert it to a movie clip, and make a keyframe on frame 10 and set its alpha to zero, then make a classic tween.  That red circle will fade out on its own no problems.

Now, imagine I create a blue circle that partially overlaps the red on a layer above the 1st, convert it to a movie clip, make a keyframe on frame 10 and set its alpha to zero, then make a classic tween.

These objects will fade to nothing at the same exact time, but as they do it, the place where they overlap will be pronounced as it fades.

What I remember doing back in the day, or at least what I was sure would fix this was grouping the objects together and then tweening their alpha, which would eliminate the overlap and they'd fade as one object cleanly.

I tried grouping the objects, putting them in a single movie clip, and had no luck.  There's a new feature in Animate called Convert To Bitmap, doing that flattens the symbols into a bitmap and that works for the time being, but I'm concerned about the quality of the graphics when reduced from a vector.

I'm trying to see if anyone can tell me how to do this the right way, this is a technique that has existed well before Flash was called Animate since back in the Flash 8 days.  I was under the impression that grouping the symbols would fix this issue but in Animate the bitmap conversion is the only way I can accomplish the fade without overlaps showing.

Please someone who has been using flash forever must know what I'm talking about.

TOPICS
How to, Missing feature, Other, Timeline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWF documents had the exact some problem. You fixed it by setting the Blend mode to Layer. This option doesn't exist in HTML5 Canvas documents, but setting the Render mode to Cache as Bitmap seems to fix it. Clips that are cached can't be scaled though. Well, they can, but they aren't redrawn, so they look pixelated if you scale them up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for the repsonse.

I'm basically trying to recreate a dynamic online ad, and part of the animation are these award logos piling up and then fading away together.

So if I set the render mode to cache as bitmap, and export it, the overlaps won't be there?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2020 0