• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding a way to stop a moving object from blurring in my animation

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone. I'm new to Adobe and have been working with an animator (who uses Adobe Animate) to create a childrens cartoon about a helicopter. The problem we are facing is that whenever we move the helicopter at the needed speed within a scene, it blurs and is out of focus. Our project is 1080p HD 30p.

My question is - is there any way to stop the helicopter blurring without having to keep the helicopter still and move the background scenery? I've tried slowing the helicopter movement down but it still blurs. 

I've included a clip below. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Garth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Garth,

If you pause the video at any frame you will see that there is no blur and each image is very crisp.

What you most likely see is flicker or strobing effect. (This is what I see playing it with VLC.)

This can be at least partly related to out of sync playback with the refresh rate of your display. Depending on your location (50Hz or 60Hz mains frequency), for example a frame rate of 25fps might produce better results. 

The refresh rate note above might only be worth a quick test, just to see if you will get some marginal improvement.

You can also improve smoothness by upping the frame rate to 50 or 60 fps.

Ironically, to make the movement appear smoother you actually need to blur the object in the direction of movement. It's called motion blur. This is how video and the human eyes work, not specific to Animate.

Generally speaking long shots with objects tweening across the screen are always problematic. It is better to stage and edit them in a way where in-shot movement is not so large or it is much faster or slower. 

In this case you've hit the worst combination.

If I was to try and save this shot, first thing to do would be to add a little directional blur and then speed up significantly as the helicopter gets closer to the camera. This is how the dynamic of an even movement should be conveyed in perspective anyway. Amplitudes between states should be much greater as the size increases while getting closer to the camera.

Hope this is somehow helpful!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nick. This was definately helpfull. I will collaborate with my animator and show your post to him and include your ideas. Thanks again.

Garth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like for you to post a still shot from your video showing where the helicopter is blurred and out of focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Clay, thanks for the reply.

The helicopter image as a still is clear and crisp throughout the scene but my issue is more moving the image at the speed I want without blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... you're asking if there's some way to encode a video that will transcend the physical limitations of the screen that the video is being played on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video will be viewed on computer screens, phones, tvs etc. I'm wanting to do what I can to make the helicopter flying within each scene as smooth and least blurry as possible. I think the focus will be on how the helicopter is animated rather than encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah... the only way you're going to eliminate motion blur is by elimnating motion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines