• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Paint Bucket Help.

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2009 Aug 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded an image from the web and brought it into Flash. I then created a new layer and began tracing over the image with the pen tool. When all was said and done, I went to use the paint bucket tool to fill in the sections of the paths I created. My only problem is I can't fill the image. I click and click and no color is being filled. I tried converting the selection to both movie clip and graphic symbols and I still can't fill it in. Anyone have any suggestions? All answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I'm working with Adobe Flash CS3.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

It's definitely the gap thing. I've had this happen many times  and even the gap closing tool doesn't work. What I have found DOES work is to grab the edges of each line with the Selection tool and drag them closer to the edges they're near. Do that with all lines and it will fill. You could alternately use the Brush tool, set it to Draw behind at the bottom of the Toolbar when the Brush tool is selected and then fill in edges where the lines intersect and then try to fill. That works quite ofte

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, don't convert to movie clips or graphics. The paint bucket only works on raw shapes for what you're trying to do.

Most likely there are tiny gaps in the outlines you're drawing. The paint bucket will only fill a completely closed area...or...

It will compensate for tiny gaps if you set it to do so. On the main toolbar (usually on the left of your workspace), after you've selected the paint bucket tool, look for the icon under "Options", which looks like a circle with a tiny gap at the top. Click this and try different settings to get Flash to fill any gaps in your outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

import your image to the stage.  with the bitmap selected click modify, bitmap, trace bitmap.  pick settings the suit your needs.

you won't need to use the paint bucket unless you want to change the original image's colors and, in that situation, select the section you want to color and select the paint bucket and then the color.  your section should be colored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the problem is that you are drawing lines and not fills, and you can't color a fill that isn't there.  One thing you can try is to draw a rectangle shape large enough to place your drawing in and then copy and paste the drawing on top of that.  As long as the drawing involves closed areas you can then color in the various sections and select/erase the parts that you don't need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ned, who said you can't color a fill that isn't there? Of course you can! Draw a closed area with lines, which has no fill at all, then click inside it with the paint bucket and create a fill in the empty area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said it.  My bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. This isn't working for me! help Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2009 Aug 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose to close big gaps, and it would probably work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely the gap thing. I've had this happen many times  and even the gap closing tool doesn't work. What I have found DOES work is to grab the edges of each line with the Selection tool and drag them closer to the edges they're near. Do that with all lines and it will fill. You could alternately use the Brush tool, set it to Draw behind at the bottom of the Toolbar when the Brush tool is selected and then fill in edges where the lines intersect and then try to fill. That works quite often as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to connect all the points so that the lines create a closed shape. Even if they are very near to each other, they might not be connected and the fill won't work.

Also, make sure none of the segments are Drawing Objects or Groups. It should all be a flat shape on one layer to form a closed area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sir,

Adobe Flash Professional CS6 Colour Bucket Fill Help:

I am trying to fill different colours in the image to make it look like Earth, but whenever I select a colour it spreads in the entire canvas. Please help me resolve thisAdobe.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having similar issues. It only seems to want to fill in shapes I made in one consistent line (like a circle for an eye) but if I made hair on a cartoon from multiple lines - even when there are no gaps - it won't let me fill inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

It has to be THE SAME line. Not segments which are a separate Drawing Objects each.

So, for existing shapes select all the bits and Break Apart; for new ones switch off Object Drawing mode.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

im using cs5....for me on that version it was'nt a gap issue.......select area with lasso or selection tool-modify menu, select break apart, and then click selection tool and click on work area so it deselects,......and then after all that the fill bucket will work?????? it took me forever to figure that out, you would hope adobe fixed that glitche in later versions of flash/animate!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines