Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FLV convert to MP4

Contributor ,
Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have several FLV's that play fine in the old player using HTTP progressive download.  I've recently created a new player that uses the Flash Media server to stream the files via RTMP.

Everything works great... mostly.  I had to tweak my MP4 conversion settings several times before I got an MP4 that would play through the player on all formats and browsers.  So that now works great.

But only about half of my old FLV's work.  The other half just hangs, like nothing is happening.  I've tried converting those FLVs to MP4s, F4V, even AVI and MOV's... but everytime the old FLV's lose their audio track.  One video will play the first 3 seconds of the audio, but none of the others have their audio.

So the question is, why would some FLV's work, but not others?  And also, why can't I get the FLV's to convert to MP4s with their audio in tact?  Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you are using a 3rd party encoder to encode flvs to mp4.

suggestion: Please use adobe media encoder:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/quickstart/video_encoder.html

and regarding part of flvs that doesn't work, is it that they wont work in RTMP alone or even in HTTP there is problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I was using Adobe Media Encoder.  I got the files to finally convert with their sound by using Pazera (it's

a free 3rd party download) to go from FLV to AVI.  Then I was able to go from AVI to MP4.  The quality is not great, but at least it worked.  Which is more than I can say for Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FLV format is one kind of Flash video file formats, which is used to deliver video over the Internet in the same manner as F4V, which is the other Flash video format. Numerous famous video sharing sites such as YouTube choose .flv as one of the uploaded or downloaded formats. Since it is getting easier to extract the FLV content from video-sharing website nowadays, the number of FLV files floating around is booming and many people obtain a ton of video clips in this format on their computer.

To easily convert FLV to MP4 for widely use, Faasoft FLV to MP4 Converter is the best choice, with which, it is fast to convert FLV files to MP4 with quality preserved on Mac (Yosemite included) and Windows (Windows 8 included).

A quick guide at: How to Convert FLV to MP4 on Mac and Windows.

Hope it will help you more or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FLV is just a file container containing video encoded with different codec, some of your FLVs may use a codec that the player can't read to encode video.

If you're not afraid of MP4, you can go and get a program called AppGeeker that can get the job done. I've been using it for the past year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you play your flvs inside Adobe Media Encoder? Does the sound work from there? When you are exporting to mp4, are you using the default settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FLV content cannot be played back directly but must be embedded in (or linked from) an SWF file. You create (or download) a “container” SWF file from which to play the FLV file. The most common approach is to use an SWF file that functions as a media player with screen and playback controls. But, I was trying to convert some flv video files that I have on my computer into MP4 and came across Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate. It is very simple to use!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To convert local FLV files to MP4, I recommend iDealshare VideoGo. It can batch convert FLV to MP4, MOV, AVI, MPG, WMV, ASF etc.

Here is the easy guide FLV to MP4 Converter Mac/Windows - Batch Convert FLV to MP4

To download online FLV to MP4, you may try Allavsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FLV was popular due to the availability of Adobe Flash plug-in. But with advances in browser technology and Flash plug-in, video hosting services rarely use FLV now and have turned to MP4.

There are many recommendations in the reply. If you are a Mac user, I think that Cisdem Video Converter, VCL Media Player, Handbrake are worth a try.

Also read: How to Convert FLV to MP4 on Mac Hassle-Free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines