• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame numbers in EaselJS start at 0 instead of 1. For example, this affects gotoAndStop and gotoAndPlay calls.

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter what I do even if I test an empty movie I get this warning, what am I supposed to do about this as timeline starts with 1 not 0, just be aware of it and get this every time I test something?

TOPICS
Code , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Hi,

This is just an information to you that the easeljs handles frame numbers differently(starting from 0) than flash as3(there it starts from 1). You need to be aware of this in case if you are referring to frame numbers in your frame scripts in Canvas document.

Thanks!

Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is just an information to you that the easeljs handles frame numbers differently(starting from 0) than flash as3(there it starts from 1). You need to be aware of this in case if you are referring to frame numbers in your frame scripts in Canvas document.

Thanks!

Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very annoying, would be good to have a button saying ok I get it do not warn me again

Gone are the days of Macromedia Director which was such a great product and easy to use and program. Did get into Flash AS2 and later had to learn AS3, which is so much more painful, also waged to write an web application with it that allow to draw on a 2D surface and renders the drawing onto a 3D object in real time. Have not used flash in the last year or two and only now came back, thinking Adobe Animate for html5 great just what we needed, to find out AS3 does not work and there is a very clear separation between Flash and HTML Canvas projects. Good that now Javascript is being used as also it means learning yet again..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that there should be an option in preferences to disable compatibility warnings. Having those warnings spew into the console every single time you publish no matter what just encourages people to ignore warnings altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They might eventually add a function that adds + 1 to code that targets frames by numbers. If that warning is displayed when you taget a frame by number in your code it would also make sense, it is however shown every time bio matter what you do. Should bot be shown if you taget by frame names or do not have any gotoAndPlay etc code. Also they could have added a 0 to the timeline for html canvas projects or a switch numbering button, which I assumed and could not find. Or start the code from 1. If you have the timeline form 1 to 60, The javascript code has this.frame_0 and this,frame_59 no reason then not to also translate frame numbers correctly in the generated code. Guess this will eventually happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CapRoberts wrote:

Guess this will eventually happen.

I bet it won't. If anything, they'll fix the timeline in Canvas mode so it shows the first frame as 0. Frame numbering is zero-based because that's how the CreateJS library works, and it works that way because zero-based indexing is simply faster and more elegant to code. Jamming a "+1" toggle in there would just impose a performance penalty for no real benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any different between free trial animate cc and license cc? because i want to try publish and it says

"Frame numbers in EaselJS start at 0 instead of 1. For example, this affects gotoAndStop and gotoAndPlay calls. (3)"

what should i do? i still don't get it the anwer ??

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is no difference between trial and licensed copy of Animate with respect to Frame Numbers. As I have mentioned earlier it is displayed for your information in case if you are used to AS3 frame scripts where you refer frame numbers that starts from 1 where as in Canvas document it starts from 0.

In AS3, you write a frame script say gotoAndPlay(3) to go to and play frame #3

In Canvas, you need to use 2 in place of 3 to gotoAndPlay frame number 3 

Thanks!

Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are adapting an already existing file, on new canvas projects, I found it best to give the frame a name and the reference it like: gotoAndPlay("framename") this way you do not have to worry which number it ends up being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just turn off "Show Output" in the output console. If you do end up getting what seem to be errors, turn it back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a similar way, you can block all ads on web sites by turning off your monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I resolve this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which problem is it that you need to resolve? If you're talking about the original topic, and how frame numbers start at 0, there isn't a problem. The message is for information, unless you have done gotoAndStop() or gotoAndPlay(). The message reminds you that if the timeline frame you want to go to is say 15, the correct gotoAndStop() for that would be gotoAndStop(14), one less than the number shown in the timeline.

Using frame labels is a good idea, gotoAndStop("main menu") will work, even with the difference between JavaScript and ActionScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select frame, name in attribute (frame label)

Then jump to the Frame tab.

This is the recommended practice now.

I didn't really like to jump frames before.

Because it's not intuitive.

After the version becomes ANCC.

It feels like software is far from the public.

People who can't write code,

Basically not used.

Don't know what to call progress or retrogression

Flash is the most popular time,

Because anyone can use it,

As long as you open the software, not too much learning can make the job.

I think the best version is FLASH8.

Because his help was the friendliest.It's simple.

Now just blindly seeking to add functionality,

And forget who's using it.

Network animation Interactive Software.

Definitions have long been forgotten.

Animators know little about code.

The programmer doesn't use it.

I hope I can get the code assistant to do it and give the Help manual

Instead of chasing the popular.

Do not let people, for a small code to come here to ask.

I often get told to see JS to see Easejs.

But I don't even know what to look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This error code is a usability nightmare. It makes me wonder if the people at adobe ever use their own software. 

It's like when someone poops on top of a wedding cake;

It doesn't matter how good the cake was, it's all garbage now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines