• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

frustrated, fill bucket will not work with animate cc paint brush tool, works fine with pencil and brush tool.

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whatever reason if i use the paint brush tool 99% of the time the paint bucket tool cant not fill, this does not happen with the regular brush tool or the pencil tool, making the paint brush tool useless for animating people or shapes, even if the lines are cleary intersecting, the section will not fill. Am im missing something here? Im using windows 10 and latest version of adobe animate downloaded from a 20 dollar adobe cloud subscription.

[Moved from non-technical Lounge Forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

TOPICS
Performance , Tablet

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

When using the paint bucket there is an icon in the Tools palette where you can set what size gap is ignored. It would be interesting to set that to Don't Close Gaps, then draw a pencil line around the outside of the paint brush stroke that is misbehaving, and paint bucket fill that outer area.

If the inner area gets filled in there is a gap that you're not noticing.

You said that you downloaded the app from Adobe Cloud Services, that sounds like an unusual way to say how apps are normally install

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi drexegar,

Just to be sure, have you updated all drivers, and are you on the latest version of Adobe Animate CC? I haven't heard of a similar issue from other users. Also, what kind of device are you running the software on?

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for fast reply,

I just purchased a subscription last night and downloaded this version last night from the adobe cloud service.

I have a huawei matebook M3 processor and 4 gis of ram with wacom es2

All my drivers are up to date, including the latest wacom feel it drivers that allow pressure and tilting in animate.

I have no problem filling areas made with the pencil tool, or brush tool, just the paint brush tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still facing this issue in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same somone please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. there is 100% no gaps in my lines yet it wont fill. no matter how may times i change the gap fill settings. simetiems it just randomly removes all colors when i fill. not sure how such a basic tool has trouble working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use the paint bucket tool, you have to be sure you're filling inside a closed path.

If you zoom in on the paths you're creating with the paint brush tool & unsuccessfully trying to fill, I bet you'll find that the paths aren't quite closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lines are intersecting, so I can't get more connected than that.

But i realized that this happens on my 1440p screen resolution, if i lower the resolution down, the problem goes away but a new problem happens, the top menu dosen't work properly, if I move my mouse on to the edit section, it forces me on the file section like it can't figure out what spot im clicking on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the paint bucket there is an icon in the Tools palette where you can set what size gap is ignored. It would be interesting to set that to Don't Close Gaps, then draw a pencil line around the outside of the paint brush stroke that is misbehaving, and paint bucket fill that outer area.

If the inner area gets filled in there is a gap that you're not noticing.

You said that you downloaded the app from Adobe Cloud Services, that sounds like an unusual way to say how apps are normally installed. You should have installed a Creative Cloud application at some stage, and in its window is an Apps tab. That's where you go to install new applications. Any other download link may not be to the current version.

Preran was asking about that because there have been recent fixes to do with Windows HiDPI screens. You can check if that's possibly part of the issue by going into your Display Settings and set the application scaling slider back to its default position. It certainly would explain why you get the File menu when pointing at the Edit menu, and it could explain the problems with the paint bucket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off object drawing mode. This will  allow filling in your drawings with the brushes. If you have created lines/shapes with the object drawing mode on, select the line/shape and hit ctrl + b and it will change it to a brush stroke and you will be able to fill it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU HELPED ME ALOT<3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU I WAS ABOUT TO QUIT ADOBE I WAS SO FRUSTRATED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOD THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS THE SOLUTION FOR ANYBODY STILL HAVING PROBLEMS AFTER TRYING THE PINNED ANSWER!!! Lifesaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that still doesnt work. Any other ideas? I need help here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

This worked! 

Except if you're on a Mac it's Command + B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ctrl-b or command-b is just the default shortcut for modify > break apart.  ie, if you create an object and what to return it to its stokes/shapes, break it apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that has worked for me is if I select all the strokes around the area I'm trying to fill (or the whole frame if you are trying to fill in multiple sections) turn the strokes into an object, and then break the object apart. After objectifying and then deobjectifying, I can use the paint bucket tool to fill in any internal shapes without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whats weird for me with that though is that it like deletes the  other layers that make up the object and combiles it all into one big layer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I've found works is to highlight everything, and if they show blue boxes around them, it means filling won't work. Press ctrl + b and it will turn into pixels so that you can fill. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By highlighting you mean selecting, right? Bc I tried that and it didn't do anything either, this problem is incredibly frustrating  ðŸ’”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Turn off all other layers. Essentialy "solo" the layer you want to fill.  In my case, i found that my area wasnt closed because the other layers were fooling me into thinking it was closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hhhh that's so annoying to have to do tho 😞

no other art application I've used has had that be a thing 💔 adobe is expensive why the heck can't they just fix this issue or add a setting that allows you to have multiple layers close gaps smh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines