• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

function of temporarily flipping stage view?

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm drawing on AN to produce animation films.

In general, drawing software has the function of showing the image displayed in the viewport vertically or horizontally, regardless of the layer structure of the project, to check the balance.

I wonder if the AN has the function.

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Hi mate,

Very impressive comparison!

Love the examples and all the rest, but I have to say that the overlap is a non-issue.

Just put a blank white box at the bottom of your container

Guide it to not see from outside 

As for the 'easy operation' all you need is one offset circle to click - like a little handle to get your views open even if they overlap. Come on!

o--YOURSTAGE

YOURSTAGE--o

I'll send you a PM also.

Best

NT

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

I don't know of such default function, but you can very easily do so if you keep all your work inside a container. The container should be registered so that its centre coincides with that of your stage.

You can temporarily flip to evaluate or keep a second view to check as you progress.

To open a second view go to Window menu > Duplicate Window

Hope this helps!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, definitely. The method will work as a result.

However, from a drawing perspective, the viewport flipping function should be immediate. I should also be able to draw while flipping the screen. The effect of this function is temporary, so if i export the project with the flipped screen, the exported image file will be preserved in the state before the flipping.

Artists are accustomed to their own paintings while they are drawing, and this is the main reason for the balance of the picture to collapse. The following links explain the canvas flipping for good balance.

https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/why-do-my-flipped-images-look-bad/1417445/8

There is also an official description from ClipStudio for flip canvas.

CLIP STUDIO PAINT Startup Guide - Flipping the Canvas Horizontally

In the case of Photoshop, the top menu-view-flip horizonal performs the functions I require.

Drawing software like Krita, TVPaintAnimation, Corel Painter, and ClipStudio, which I know, has all these features.

I did a preliminary search for this topic before posting this question, and many people suggested a solution like you. However, I can not use the method to quickly reverse the picture. It's also hard to manage when there are dozens of layers and hundreds of frames.

I wish AN would be able to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be good to have this implemented.

You should fill in a feature request as I'm sure many artists will appreciate such a feature.

However, I think you misunderstood my suggestion.

Here is a sample setup:

On Main timeline you have container A (graphic symbol) on layer 1 which holds all your artwork/animation.

On layer 2, which is guided you have an instance of the same symbol A, but this time it is flipped. You don't flip it back and forth. It is just flipped and stays like this. You can show it or hide it. It is guided so it never exports.

In your default view you enter and work normally in the instance of layer 1.

You open a second view (Window > Duplicate Window) and this time you enter the flipped instance on layer 2.

You can Ctrl+Tab between the two to check and at any moment you can work in either.

You can, if you like, have a third which is upside down.

It is not difficult to manage as long as at the beginning of a work day you open 2 views.

Hope it makes more sense now!

NT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

n-tilcheff_Method_01.gif

I read your explanation and tested it again.

Usually works well.

However, in my test, layer2 necessarily overlaps layer1.

In Windows 1, it is a mode for editing the symbol of layer 1. In Windows 2, it is a mode for editing the symbol of layer 2.

Can I display only one layer in each window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Very impressive comparison!

Love the examples and all the rest, but I have to say that the overlap is a non-issue.

Just put a blank white box at the bottom of your container

Guide it to not see from outside 

As for the 'easy operation' all you need is one offset circle to click - like a little handle to get your views open even if they overlap. Come on!

o--YOURSTAGE

YOURSTAGE--o

I'll send you a PM also.

Best

NT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

n-tilcheff_Method_05.gif

Oh, I was stupid. This was a very basic layering problem.

I added white solids to solve the image overlap problem.

How to place handles on the outside of the stage is also amazing.

I feel that your method is currently the best way to flipping viewport in AN to nondestructive state.

Of course, I hope that users will be able to do this in the tools dimension of the AN rather than managing additional layers in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 15, 2019 Jun 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this, too.

But without this feature.

What I'm doing now is

CTRL+A

ctrl+alt+h

Flip this way

Open Window - History

an.getDocumentDOM().selectAll();

an.getDocumentDOM().scaleSelection(-1, 1);

Save the steps as commands

Then use it in the command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method worked fairly easily. However, I found that there are some limitations. Please check below.

Meanwhile, the JSFL code you wrote worked fine, but ctrl + alt + h was not assigned to my AN as a default shortcut. Can you tell me the menu path to find this command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have compared the two ideas and tabulated the pros and cons.

table.PNG

And I made a GIF about the details.

00_Center.gif

Comparison of axis of flipping.

This is especially important when working at high magnifications.

In the case of the cgenjil43641795 method, it flips using axis of the stage center.

So, when magnified state i want to edit Redman, but the other side Blueman appears.

But the n. tilcheff method is OK.

01_Frames.gif

Comparison of affect frames

The left-right balance problem is important when drawing a single picture, but it should also be applied to animation.

In the case of the cgenjil43641795 method, it applies only to the currently selected frame.

Look at the position swapping of Greenman and Blueman when scrubbing frame 1 to 2, 3.

But the n. tilcheff method has an affect on all frames.

02_LcokedLayer.gif

Comparison of affect locked layers

If you are editing multiple layers, you may want to lock some layers.

In the case of the cgenjil43641795 method will not allow me to select a locked layer,

so when i run the flip command, you will see props stay in place.

But the n. tilcheff method has an affect on all locked layers.

n. The tilcheff method has many advantages, but it requires complex preset settings compared to the cgenjil43641795 method and there are overlapping image problems.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods, so it is better to mix them properly.

On the other hand, I saw a good possibility in AN's Rotation Tool (Shift + H).

The Rotation Tool displays its own anchor point widget separately.

The Viewport Flip Tool that i required can also improve the usability and consistency of the AN tool by allowing the axis widgets.

Or you could use the position of the mouse cursor as an axis more conveniently.

How do I request this to adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines