• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Future of SWF format?

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I know that 'only' the Flash Player for browsers has been discontinued for 2021, but what I can't find clear info on is what this means for Adobe internal support for .swf format? I'm thinking with specific reference to Animate - After Effects workflows?

I have 20 years of AE projects built heavily from imported .swf files, and I don't especially want to find in three months that none of them work anymore, or to have a new project come in and suddenly find that the .swf workflow has stopped supporting and I haven't time to learn Toon Boom?

Sorry if this question seems obvious, but there is a whole community out there who, even since the Flash days, have never engaged with the web functionalities, don't know/care anything about html5 implementation, and don't think in those terms. So knowing about the browser discontinuation (Flash hasn't been supported in Firefox for like a decade, Animate rebranded years ago) doesn't in and of itself clear up what future holds for .swf export (and import support in AE) for the motionographers in the room?

Cheers.

TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWF is open source, some project like ruffle-rs, chearpX, waflash, use it. you can use your own application to use it too if you wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SWF is still supported in Animate and can still be used for After Effects. SWF file format is completely seperate from the web browser Flash Player and is still supported in these apps. No problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines