• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting child by instance name behaviour has changed?

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what, I only use actionscript for very basic stuff. However, how I've always referenced child movieclips is simply like this:

parentMovie.childMovie.secondChild

Since fresh installing and updating to the newest Animate, when I create a new document and try to use this method, it no longer works, I get the error:

A term is undefined and has no properties.

If I trace the parentMovie movieclip, I'll now get output, something like: [object parentMovie_2] BUT if I trace the same thing in my old file I get: [object MovieClip]. Tracing any children of parentMovie in the new file will return "undefined" or "null".

So, if I open a file I created before the update, this method still works as it used to, any new files I create this method does not work. I've looked through all of my properties for the two files and can't see any differences. Any ideas? I've spent hours trying to figure this out without any progress.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

disable advanced layers (modify>document>untick 'use advanced layers') or learn how to use layer names in your references.

info about advanced layers: https://helpx.adobe.com/animate/using/timeline-layers.html#advanced-layers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

disable advanced layers (modify>document>untick 'use advanced layers') or learn how to use layer names in your references.

info about advanced layers: https://helpx.adobe.com/animate/using/timeline-layers.html#advanced-layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ha! Thank you SO much, I'll look into advanced layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines