Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient is choppy!

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

I've been banging my head for a while with this problem and I can't seem to find a solution on my own.

I'm trying to make a globe animation and when I add a gradient dark to alpha on top of the planet I get those choppy gradient lines. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Image: click 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm bumping it!

Cmon guys, there should be a solution to that. The problem is not so visible in the picture, but when you play the animation on Full HD and there is a motion, it is very bad. I can't present it that way 😞 

That is my color panel, if it's of any help: click 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't expect people to troubleshoot a screenshot. Post an FLA that demonstrates the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point!

Here's an FLA file: click 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please HELP! BUMP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll second what @_keyframer suggests.

My suspicion is that you have a TN display which does not cover the whole sRGB gamut and therefore produces gradient banding.

An easy way to test would be to export a static image of the Earth, open it in Photoshop and overlay the same type of gradient there. If you still see the banding, you can be certain that the problem is not with the image that Flash produces, but with your device.

Having said that, you can experiment changing colours a bit to minimise the visibility of said gradient banding.

(I see the banding on my dispay also as it is cheap and old.)

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @n. tilcheff and thank you for the answer! 

I did the Photoshop test and the result was slightly better but still similar as in Animate.

When I use color with alpha the result is worse and as @_keyframer  mentioned it might just be my comp's specs. Despite the fact I switched computers in order to test it before I didn't consider that the Video card might be the problem. The laptop I use at the moment has NVIDIA GForce GT 540M, 16GB RAM, and an i7 2630QM 2GHz processor.

The monitor is fine I believe but I may need a new comp.

Thank you for taking the time and looking at my problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may just be your video card, monitor resolution, or both. What are your system specs?

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @_keyframer!

My laptop specs are NVIDIA GForce GT 540M, 16GB RAM, and an i7 2630QM 2GHz processor. The display resolution is as recommended by the system: 1600 x 900 which is considered HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines