• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphic symbol does not animate when added from library.

Engaged ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

When I add an animated graphic symbol from the Library onto the stage, it does not animate. I have inserted blank frames (F5) into the timeline, but nothing happens - the symbol just shows as a static image. Grateful for any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Yup, as already mentioned my guess is also that it is truly a Movie Clip (they do not "play" inside Animate) or if Graphic behavior, the instance is set to "Single Frame".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Select the instance you want to be animated on the stage, go to the Properties panel and make sure:

- It's really a Graphic symbol;

- It has more than one frame;

- It's set to 'Loop' or 'Play Once' on the Looping section.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting to "loop" or "play ones" on the looping did it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, as already mentioned my guess is also that it is truly a Movie Clip (they do not "play" inside Animate) or if Graphic behavior, the instance is set to "Single Frame".

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to JoaoCesar and keyframer for your responses.

I am very puzzled why, if, as seems to be the case, the symbol is acting as a movieclip,  it is described in the properties panels as 'Instance of SEA 1 GRAPHIC', and showing the icon for a Graphic Symbol. ('SEA 1 GRAPHIC' is the name of the symbol). Very odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click once on the instance of the symbol on the stage. In poperties under "Looping" is it set to Single Frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is set to Play Once. If  set it to Loop, it still does not animate. There is a window in the Looping section which says ' First 1'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact you are seeing looping options means the symbol is indeed set to Graphic behavior. I've never heard of a Graphic symbol not playing when set to loop if indeed it has more than 1 frame of animation inside. The only thing my vast imagination can assume is possibly the following scenario:

The Graphic symbol has a Movie Clip nested inside of it and that Movie Clip contains the animation. What happens when you test/publish your document?

Is there any possible way you can upload/attach the FLA for me to look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have inserted a Youtube video, showing that the Graphic Symbol (the front waves) does not animate. - I dont know if you will be able to view the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Doesn't help me solve the issue however. Let me ask you this, when you double-click the instance of that symbol containing the wave animation, you will be brought into that symbol's timeline. Can you tell me what you see? How many frames? I think it could be this issue...

Your symbol on the main timeline contains a symbol inside it. THAT nested symbol contains the nested animation but the parent symbol that it resides in, does not have enough frames to accommodate the nested animations length.

So double-click the symbol, what I suspect now is that you will be inside the parent symbol on root timeline. You now have one frame containing another symbol. Double click this nested symbol and I bet you will be looking at your wave animation timeline. To solve this mystery, go back to the parent of the animated timeine and insert the number of frames needed to accommodate the length of the nested animation that is now 3 levels inside the main timeline.

Hope that made sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double-click the instance of the symbol containing the wave animation, it brings me into the wave symbol's timeline, where I see one keyframe on frame one, with no other frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

did you originally create it as another symbol (eg a Movie Clip) then change it to Graphics in the Properties panel? From memory I think I have done this in the past and it didn't function correctly. Or it might just have been me. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it's been a minute since this thread was active, but I'm having this issue too, but I don't even see a "loop" section under properties. I initially had a static image, which I motion tweened, then I went and added frames. Did that mess it up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nevermind. It just wasn't showing up in the timeline. All looks good when I test the movie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines