• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphic Symbol Position Manipulation Issue

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am animating a character that is a nested symbol and the parts that are flipped horizontally are behaving strangely when I try to move them using both the selection tool and the free transform tool. The arrow keys all move the symbol in the same direction, and when I try to move it with my mouse, the symbol jumps to a position opposite from where I tried to place it. For example, if I try to move it down, it will jump to a position above that, like a mirror image. This issue only happens when I move the symbols that have been flipped. How can I fix this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Hey,

I'm using the most up to date version, 19.2. I haven't tried a different version yet.

I am using advanced layers, they are parented all those things yes. I turned off advanced layers and I still had the problem. I can't share the file due to copyright issues. However, I did figure out a way around it for now. If I remove the parent, I can move the symbol like normal, then I just have to parent it again. It's a pain, but it's a quick fix. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Free Transform tool (Q) and click ONCE on your nested symbol. Look for the Center Point of the symbol represented by a small white circle. Where is it in relation to the symbol itself? If it's at or near the edge or perhaps even outside the symbol, that would explain your issue. You can click and drg the center point to a location that us suitable for your symbol and transforming it - typically near the center of it. But if you have any tweens along your timeline, you will need to have this center point in EXACTLY the same location for each symbol in every keyframe that control a motion/classic tween.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The anchor point doesn't seem to be the issue here. I have a character made of limbs where one side is made of flipped versions of the other side. The normal symbols move as they should but when I click and drag the flipped symbols, they don't stay put where I drop them, they instead pop over to the mirrored position. If I drag the arm to the right, when I let go of the mouse button, it jumps to the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

What is your version of Animate? Have you tried in a different version?

Are you using Advanced layers in the file?

Are these elements on Parented layers?

Are you using Layer depth? Camera?

If 'yes' try switching Advanced layers off to trouble-shoot.

My guess is Parented layers and their current incomplete implementation are causing the trouble.

If 'yes' this is known to the dev team.

If 'no', please share your file, do a screen recording of the situation and possibly file a bug report.

Best

NT

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey,

I'm using the most up to date version, 19.2. I haven't tried a different version yet.

I am using advanced layers, they are parented all those things yes. I turned off advanced layers and I still had the problem. I can't share the file due to copyright issues. However, I did figure out a way around it for now. If I remove the parent, I can move the symbol like normal, then I just have to parent it again. It's a pain, but it's a quick fix. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines