• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has anyone found a process for publishing interactive animations with synched sound?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to deliver a suite of animations that contain interactive elements (buttons, click-and-drag, hitTest, text input, etc.) which I used to be able to do with Flash Player (before End of Life).

I can't get Projectors to work properly, they don't seem to survive transfers out of my mac: https://community.adobe.com/t5/animate/projector-gets-broken-after-transferring-out-of-my-mac/m-p/11... and I can't think of any other way of publishing the fully functional, interactive animations.

TOPICS
How to , Missing feature , Other , Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  i don't see a problem creating a mac projector on a mac, moving to a usb stick, playing the projector from the usb stick and i don't see a problem moving the projector back to the mac and playing after those two (mac to usb to mac) moves.

2.  you're trying to deliver to whom? 

if to internet users that will use their web browser, you should be using canvas/html5 projects.

3.  if you have a much more limited audience in mind (eg, friends of yours) (your friends will need a flash player on their computers to play a projector file).

4.  an air app would embed a player with your app, so would be better suited to file movement to friends' computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad

Thank you for joining this discussion, I'm encouraged by your participation since you've helped me many times before.

When I publish a Mac Projector (which runs well on the Mac that generated it) and upload it to Google Drive or to a website created by Blackboard (a Course Tools software), the projector changes into a folder. I've been told that Mac apps are folders, but clicking on the uploaded icon in Google Drive just makes me enter the folder as though navigating it. If I download the folder back to the Mac that generated it, the folder goes back to looking like a Mac projector icon. However, clicking on this gives a  file is damaged message and won't open it. The same things happen when I share the Google Drive contents with another Mac user. The same thing happens when I give my students access to the projector in a Blackboard site.

Ultimately, I would like to create an eTextbook (for high school and college chemistry) that allows students to learn by doing/interacting with the content – and that requires the full interactivity afforded by Animate (so canvas/html5 won't be good enough).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, they're going to need flash player on their computers and flash player is no longer available.

make an air app.

and if you really wanted to upload an executable (like a projector file), you need to compress it first (eg, zip it), then upload it.  otherwise, security measures on the file site and/or on the downloading computer should block it.

downloaders would then need to uncompress it and then open the uncompressed file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding was that Projectors contained the Flash Player (its advantage over .swf) which made it a suitable work around on the Flash Player end of life, is that wrong? Do I need to look elsewhere for a way of delivering interactive animations with synched sound?

I've tried zipping a Mac Projector, uploading it into Google Drive, downloading the zipped file onto the same Mac that generated it, and gettiing a file damaged message after unzipping and clicking on the projector icon generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops, you are correct.

projector files include your swf and a flash player.  why your files are getting corrupted with uploading and then downloading, i do not know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Customer Care says its a bug and they're working to fix it, hopefully in future updates.

So now I have to decide if I want to spend upwards of a year (or two) creating animations that may never see the light of day, or possibly, have to do additonal work, porting/translating the work if Adobe decides to do another script overhaul. >sigh<

Thanks for your attention to this, kglad (and everyone else who read but did not post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure about that answer

i don't see this problem on windows or mac (10.14.x) but maybe you have an old os or big sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to do some more tests and found that with the recent Animate updates, the Win Projector does work. I have to bypass Norton and Microsoft Firewalls but in the end, it runs.

I have a Mac running 10.14.6 and still can't get it to run on that - BUT I've had issues with this Mac's OS (I downgraded from Catalina and since then the command-space bar doesn't work, I can't search files on this Mac) - so maybe that's the problem. I'll wait until the end of the semester and upgrade to 10.15 and see whether that fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered webassembly export? A number of game engines export to the web via webassembly, bypassing html5/canvas (and their limitations).

Godot would be a good replacement for Animate CC and the old projector. Godot also features an animation timeline, and a proper GUI framework is built in. Export to the web, and done. Also allows for Mac, Linux, and Windows export, as well as Android and iOS builds. 

Sound support is excellent: event based, or insert sounds directly in the animation timeline of screens or objects. Physics are also available. 

Unlike Animate, however, Godot does not include asset creation tools, which have to be created in other design apps such as Photoshop or Illustrator, and imported. SVG is supported, though. The timelines are not quite comparable - while Animate is more frame-based, 

Besides, I wouldn't trust Adobe to keep updating the projector export. It may take years before they fix bugs - if at all now that the SWF format is defunct, and Apple is migrating to their own CPU. The advantage of webassembly is that applications will run at near native speed in any modern browser without the need for plugins. Heck, Godot itself even runs in a browser now in webassembly! Open source and free.

Might be worth a try to see if your project(s) might be built in it.

https://godotengine.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I spent the better part of the day looking at Animate alternatives and it seems that, while there are software out there that does 2D animating better or making gaming environments easier to create, there isn't one that contains the complete package of drawing tools, animation tools, scripting, interactivity, sound, levels of embedded movieClips, keyframe and playhead control. Having an event like a button press (or entering a keyframe) control where multiple playheads go, or having a movieClip wait for a text input (like an answer to a question) and using the text input to programmatically control the next sequence seem to be missing in most. Godot looks promising and even though having to learn another authoring platform is daunting (I've persevered with Animate throughout all its iterations since the Macromedia days, teaching myself Flash 5 - when you could put code onto buttons, and, changing my authoring habits with actionScript 3 - struggled gamely with OOP and classes [still not very good at that]), and, frankly, I worry that Godot will go through similar changes as it matures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines