• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I change the center point of an image in Animate CC?

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to change the center point of a image or symbol in Animate CC. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Hey mate,

It just happens so that I recently published this article: Understanding symbol registration in Flash and Animate | electric dog :: flanimate power tools

If I understand your question correctly, the text, examples and video will give you all the answers you need.

Hope this helps

NT

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate,

It just happens so that I recently published this article: Understanding symbol registration in Flash and Animate | electric dog :: flanimate power tools

If I understand your question correctly, the text, examples and video will give you all the answers you need.

Hope this helps

NT

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This was very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You, again, to save my bacon! The relationship between the Registration and Transformation points is SO confusing and not explained...until now! Cheers and have a "thanks mate" ale!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, mate, when things are clear, you are in control and can start actually having fun

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning, I moved the art within a symbol so that the registration point was where I wanted it to be. Then, in the timeline where I had placed that symbol, I double-clicked the transformation point (while in the Free Transform tool) and it moved right to the registration point.

Best of all, all transformation animations now work as expected. Made a much better start to my day.

YAY! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the object or image on the stage, go into properties - advanced settings and you will see the anchor settings where you can select the center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you, please, provide a screen shot of "properties - advanced settings and you will see the anchor settings where you can select the center"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eastpost

I also would like to see that "properties - advanced settings" screen shot.

you made me wonder

-Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, II was wrong but you can adjust the stage anchor at least with this method. Other method is more correct. You set your anchor when converting to symbol, those little squares are clickable.anchor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eastpost,

Just to clarify, mostly for others that might come across this topic some time in the future.

Consistency of terminology is important, because it makes communication easier and understandable.

In the context of Flash / Animate we should only use these two terms: Registration Point (1) and Transformation Point (2).

The first (1) refers to the 0.0 point of the internal coordinate system of a Symbol.

The second (2) is an attribute of the Symbol Instance and centre of all instance transformations.

Words such as 'anchor', 'stage anchor', 'pivot' and 'center point' are not part of the Flash / Animate terminology and make communication ineffective.

Best

NT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To actually answer this guy's question, just press Q to select the Free Transform tool (or click it on the toolbar). The transformation point will then appear on any selected stage instance as a small solid circle that you can drag around.

To change a symbol's registration point (its "native" center), you have to physically move the content around in the library symbol. This will affect every instance of the symbol. This tends to not be very useful though, since no matter where a symbol's registration point is, when you drag it onto the stage its transformation point will always default to the physical center of the symbol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is actually the answer. The approved answer goes to a 3,000 word article that not once mentions the original question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much! Exactly what I needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The approved answer links to a 3,000 word article about the history and use of modifications and does not answer the question.

I finally figured out the easiest way is to double click your clip and move the object behind the center point. This will allow you to change teh ceter point to anywehere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines