• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i merge layers in animate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a bunch of layers for a character so i want to merge them together to clean it up, but i cant figure out how. ive been trying for hours please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Unlock all the layers. Select all the layers. Then paste them back onto one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Make sure you SELECT all the layers you want to merge in the timeline panel - then right-click over the highlighted area (near layer names) and select Merge Layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru , Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

You can wrap the layers inside a container by selecting the desired range of layers (click the first, hold down Shift, click the last), then right-clicking to trigger the context menu and from there choosing "Convert Layers to Symbol"

ntilcheff_0-1678102778898.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you're just trying to tidy things up, you can create a folder and put those layers in that folder.

if you really want all the assets in the same layer select the layers you want to merge (using shift click and/or ctrl click)>right click>click merge layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whenever i hit shift it doesnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should:  create a folder and put those layers in that folder.

if there's some reason that doesn't work for you, what problem is there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the various layers different graphics like PNGs or are they vector graphics? You tidy/merge layers as kglad has said. If there is something else you'd like to do with reducing the amount of assets, let us know the format and otehr options can be given

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlock all the layers. Select all the layers. Then paste them back onto one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you SELECT all the layers you want to merge in the timeline panel - then right-click over the highlighted area (near layer names) and select Merge Layers.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it possible to separate back the merged layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging is 'destructive'. Always keep a copy/version of the file in a state before the merging.

Much better, to preserve your layer structure and editability nest your content inside a symbol instead.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to ctrl+x and ctrl+shift+v several symbols into one layer but it didn't work. 

I am a very beginner and cannot animate my symbols after putting them in a layer because I cannot hear the audio when I go in the layer. Instead, I animated the symbols without putting them in one layer but I want to put them in one layer after I give them the animation because if I don't, there are too many layers/symbols in the timeline. I hope made myself clear... I am open to any youtube video instruction suggestions to illustrate this as well!

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in other words, how can I nest my content inside a symbol? 🙂 Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can wrap the layers inside a container by selecting the desired range of layers (click the first, hold down Shift, click the last), then right-clicking to trigger the context menu and from there choosing "Convert Layers to Symbol"

ntilcheff_0-1678102778898.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

As you can see in the ss that I would like to put all the selected items in the timeline and put them all in one folder or one layer. 

Many thanks

gokcenuri10265139_0-1678178174557.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I showed you how to do. 

Everything will be wrapped inside a Graphic Symbol container. It will only occupy one layer and will play in sync.

Inside the structure will remain intact and still be editable (as opposed to if layers were merged).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I did it and it worked! thank you very very much, I really appreciate the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or putting them into a folder is, at least, and perhaps more beneficial.  just add a folder and drag the selected layers to the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for being helpful, I will start using it in case of too many layers! thanks a lot! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i find it very useful to tidy things if i have more than a few layers. best of all, it changes nothing else (including coding/object references as contrasted with converting layers into a symbol).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much I really appreciate that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines