Highlighted

How do you convert several layers into a symbol maintaining the layer structure?

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have a character design in Adobe Animate CC and all the layers that make up the character are inside a symbol. Now I want to convert, for example, all the layers that make up the leg into a symbol, then all the layers that make up the arm into another symbol, and so on. When I select all the layers that I want to convert into a symbol and go to modify -> create symbol, it combines all the layers into one layer inside the symbol and I don't want that, I need it to keep the layer structure. I tried creating a new empty symbol and pasting the layers into it, but it doesn't put it in the right place. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Hi mate,

You can copy/paste layers or frames into a new empty container

or

you can use Timeline Block To Symbol and then Set Reg Point To Transform Point if you need to quickly re-register.

Hope this helps!

ps. Also if you learn more about symbol registration, you will be able to predict where things will be pasted:

Understanding symbol registration in Flash and Animate | electric dog :: flanimate power tools

TOPICS
Discussions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do you convert several layers into a symbol maintaining the layer structure?

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have a character design in Adobe Animate CC and all the layers that make up the character are inside a symbol. Now I want to convert, for example, all the layers that make up the leg into a symbol, then all the layers that make up the arm into another symbol, and so on. When I select all the layers that I want to convert into a symbol and go to modify -> create symbol, it combines all the layers into one layer inside the symbol and I don't want that, I need it to keep the layer structure. I tried creating a new empty symbol and pasting the layers into it, but it doesn't put it in the right place. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!

Hi mate,

or

you can use Timeline Block To Symbol and then Set Reg Point To Transform Point if you need to quickly re-register.

Hope this helps!

ps. Also if you learn more about symbol registration, you will be able to predict where things will be pasted:

Understanding symbol registration in Flash and Animate | electric dog :: flanimate power tools

TOPICS
Discussions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 24, 2019 0
Guide ,
Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

or

Hope this helps!

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this was very helpful! It's working now. I can't believe they got rid of the Convert To Symbol Preserving Layers option, but it's good to know it can still be done in a couple different ways. Thank you again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 0