Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to center rulers on a guide and...

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

How to center rulers on a guide? Such as dragging over the upper left 0,0 onto a guide?

And, how to change the color of a black guide that's being pulled from rulers? Not the color of the guide itself when dropped onto the Stage ...but rather the black guide that's being pulled from the ruler.

Thanks in advance!

peace.

n.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

I don't think you can change the colour while dragging the ruler.

To set its exact location, choose the Selection Tool (V-tool) and double-click on the guide after it is placed on the stage. 

A dialog will pop out and you can input the exact value you want, for example 0.

Good luck!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Thanks, but I want to move the upper left ruler coordinates of 0,0 and place that onto a guide. In other words, center the ruler onto a guide ... as can be done in PS and Illy.

Thanks again!

peace.

n.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, mate!

You want to change the registration, i.e. the coordinate system. In Flash/Animate the coordinate system is much more than the simple convenience it is in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Well... to (kind of) do this you need to understand symbols.

Stage is always registered top-left, while each symbol has its own coordinate system.

Here is an in-depth article with video demonstration on the topic which may be of use: http://flash-powertools.com/understanding-symbol-registration/

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nick, very insightful for symbols and their registration but not so much for what I want to achieve.

Love your site, very informative!

I'm beginning to realize that Animate is a different beast ...for good reason(s).

peace.

n.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Neil,

Yeah, Macromedia Flash has had a long and glorious history way before the acquisition of the program by Adobe in 2007-8.

While Adobe have added some bells and whistles, its core and principles are unchanged to this day.

The only way to control where the 0,0 point is in relation to your artwork, is to work inside a container (Symbol). (Which you should always do anyway. Working on the main timeline is bad practice.)

The registration of symbols is always 0,0. You can re-register symbols using some extension tools - that will result in moving the 0,0 point.

If you are animating said symbols, however, this should only be done before starting animation as any changes will affect all aspects of said symbol's behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick,

Interesting that there isn't a seperation between Stage coordinates ... pixels x / y and Ruler coordinates ... units x / y.

In that way you'd be able to move around the Rulers with its units without effecting the Stage's pixel locations.

Your brilliant tutorial on registration of symbols will come in very handy when (if) I begin to do charater animation. Which I egrealy look forward to doing. So many projects ... not enough time.

Since I've only discovered Animate (a.k.a. Flash) within the last year or so, it still sparkles & shines. Love the ablities of Action Script and HTML5 platforms. Amazing stuff!

Thanks again!

peace.
n.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Enjoy the journey, Neil!

I believe that all creative people tend to juggle multiple projects and suffer from chronic lack of time 🙂 It's just the nature of the creative mind that is always full of ideas.

I know what the word boredom means, yet I have never experienced boredom in my whole life; not even a single time.

Best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines