• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change frames within tween

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really new to Animate, and having trouble doing something which I think should be easy...

I have created a fleet of ships as a graphic symbol. I have the fleet moving around a map using a motion tween, all set up successfully.

Now I want the appearance of the graphic to change at certain specified times. Let's say there are three different graphic states (A, B and C) for the fleet that I want to switch between several times as the fleet moves about.

I would really like to simply draw A, B, and C in three successive frames within the graphic symbol, and use keyframes on the main stage to trigger shifts between those three states. On the main stage, I can set loop to "single frame" and I can choose the initial frame for the symbol, but I can't see how a subsequent keyframe in the tween can call up a different frame. Every time I try, it changes the graphic for the entire tween from the first frame, not just from the keyframe where I want the change to occur. From what I can tell on forums, it seems other people can do this successfully... though perhaps it can't be done within a tween?

I know this can be done by stepping it all out on a timeline within the symbol itself, but keeping that timeline in synch with everything else that is happening on the stage will be a nightmare.

Any thoughts?

I prefer to do this without coding, which I haven't really delved into yet... but happy to give it a try if that's the only way!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Use CLASSIC tweens and not MOTION tweens. Big difference.

Classic tweens are frame based while motion tweens are object based.

If you use a motion tween, then the frame property value of the symbol is global across the entire motion tween span no matter how many keyframes are added.

Classic tweens will allow you to tween a graphic symbol, then create addition keyframes, select the instance of the symbol and choose a different nested frames via the Properties panel or Frame Picker assuming you have

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Clay, not sure I get it though. The video appears to be dealing with classic tweens, I'm wanting to work with motion tweens...

Specifically, I'm trying to jump to a specific single frame of a symbol (using frame picker or any other method) in the middle of a long motion tween. I thought the way to do this was to insert a keyframe and designate the new frame I want to appear, but it's not working that way, it changes the whole motion tween rather than taking effect from the keyframe I've selected.

"Synch graphic symbols" isn't ticked on the motion tween.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that tutorial isn't working for you. Try this one. Animate CC - Create Motion Tween Animations - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nick, but that video didn't answer my question. I know how to create a motion tween, how to add keyframes in the middle of it, and how to create property animations using a motion tween. I also know how to animate the symbol itself, creating changes in the symbol as it moves along the motion tween.

My question is more specific: how can I link a given keyframe on a motion tween, to a given frame in the animation of the symbol using that motion tween? It seems like it should be really easy, but I just can't work it out. I want to be able to say, in effect: "when you hit this keyframe, jump to frame 3 of the symbol's animation, and stop there."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even I have a similar problem, I have gone through several youtube videos. It works for them, but not me.

The frame picker does not work the way i want it to work. All I want is to have my chosen frames in the given time frame of the motion tween. 

whenever I create a keyframe using a frame picker after the application of motion tween, only the motion symbol appears in the timeline, not the keyframe. It works if the motion tween is not applied. Like for lip sync. 

If i add all the required keyframes using the frame picker and then add the motion tween, i movement only applied to the last set of keyframes, not the whole timeline. 

I do not know what seems to be the problem. I have added my file. If anyone knows the answer please provide. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOUND IT. Please refer to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIorj6p813I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are we supposed to check in the video? at what time does that appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

'Adding frame picker' part around 10:35. He explains how to have motion tween with our chosen frames withing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1299.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fear I am not expressing myself very well!

I know how to blend shapes from one keyframe to another, thanks anyway!

I would like a shape to be moving along a motion tween, and then suddenly change to a different shape upon hitting a particular keyframe. And I want that shape to be defined in the symbol animation itself, ie when you double click on the symbol and pull up the nested animation. It must be possible to set a trigger in a motion tween, that causes the nested animation to jump to a particular frame...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say frame control can only be used, code

You know, the animation is a single thread.

When you need multiple threads, it's not about animations.

1299.gif

The animation just draws the pose, and then draws the excessive in the middle.

When I need to change the animation, I need to change the picture in the middle of the key frame.

The animation is not randomly changed,

Nor can it be triggered.

It's going to be made according to the script and the story version.

Do not move and cannot be changed.

And the trigger you're talking about actually depends on the code, it's for games and interactions.

You need to ask the animation or the code, this is 2 different industries.

Operations and processes are completely different.

1199.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re going to need to use code to achive what you are describing. MovieClips and Buttons can be controlled through code. Simple graphic symbols cannot. From your description I have no idea what, speDoes cifically, you are trying to achieve, but in order to tell an object on the stage to do something in response to user input, you need to be able to address that object and that means that you have to be able to name it. Once you have named that object you can control that object and any other objects contained inside it. I’m guessing that these options would be the differences in the fleet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have to use a Motion Tween for what you're doing? A Classic Tween easily supports what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use CLASSIC tweens and not MOTION tweens. Big difference.

Classic tweens are frame based while motion tweens are object based.

If you use a motion tween, then the frame property value of the symbol is global across the entire motion tween span no matter how many keyframes are added.

Classic tweens will allow you to tween a graphic symbol, then create addition keyframes, select the instance of the symbol and choose a different nested frames via the Properties panel or Frame Picker assuming you have different states nested on individual keyframes inside the symbol being classically tweened.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I think I got it now... it looks like for what I want to do I can either (a) use motion tween with its superior/streamlined motion path functionality, but at the cost of having to synch the nested subject animations carefully, or (b) use classic tween and be able to choose the nested frames I want, but at the cost of having to use slightly more cumbersome motion path layers to define the subject movement, or (c) learn how to code already. None of these is ideal, but I'm getting a better sense of options now!

Appreciate the responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This help me thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines