• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to select on single parts in imported image (png)?

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I'm very new to Adobe Animation.  I made my characters in pieces (head, legs, arms etc.) in one canvas in Photoshop, then saved as PNG.  I have imported into Adobe Animate and I wanted to selected one piece the arm.  I used the lasso tool, but it keep selecting the whole thing or showing the box.

Any idea how to select only one piece at a time?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Hi mate,

With a PNG it won't be as straight forward as you'd expect, since PNG is flat.

Maybe if you keep your elements as layers in Photoshop you would be able to import as separate elements and then convert each one to a Symbol to animate independently.

It is not impossible to break apart a PNG and then individually convert pieces to Symbols, but this will be a very bad idea to give to a novice.

Good practice requires you to actually create your character in Animate, not in Photoshop or Illust

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to save each piece as a separate PNG file to work with them this way. But it would probably be easier to just import the PSD file, as it will maintain the separate layers automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

With a PNG it won't be as straight forward as you'd expect, since PNG is flat.

Maybe if you keep your elements as layers in Photoshop you would be able to import as separate elements and then convert each one to a Symbol to animate independently.

It is not impossible to break apart a PNG and then individually convert pieces to Symbols, but this will be a very bad idea to give to a novice.

Good practice requires you to actually create your character in Animate, not in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Here is how you should do it if you want hassle-free animation process: http://flash-powertools.com/character-rigging-for-flash-animation/

And here is how to organise production: http://flash-powertools.com/workflow/

Good luck!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not working the way you expect because Animate is inherently vector-based (like Illustrator), NOT bitmap-based (like Photoshop). For most purposes Animate treats bitmaps as a single atomic object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines