• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm confused about where Animate fits in the product line-up and what can be done with it.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

Please forgive my naivety when it comes to this. 

Is this tool for creating Flash? Or is this for creating HTML5/CSS animations and interactivity like Hype?

I just read where Adobe is stopping any further development on Flash at the end of the year. Literally killing it off D-E-D dead.

Thanks,

Kevin 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edge Animate was the product that competed with Hype. Adobe Animate isn't a CSS based animation tool.

Flash Player plugin for web browsers is what will not be updated after the end of this year. Not even security updates, so at some point you can expect browsers to prevent using those plugins. For now it's optional.

Flash animations on web pages could well have been just timeline animations. If it's an activity or a game, then the programming language used was ActionScript 3.0. That language is still used for making mobile apps.

The SWF file format is still being used as part of animating for video, as well as being what is inside mobile apps.

Adobe Animate can also publish to HTML5 Canvas, and other HTML5 formats. Those may well end up looking just like Flash activities from the past, but they can at least work in a mobile browser without needing a plugin.

So, only the desktop browser playback of SWF files is going away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin, 

Thank you for the response. 

I'm looking for a tool like Hype that plays nice with Illustrator, this is why I ask. 

Are there any plans for a tool to make interactive HTML5 elements? Or was Edge Animate the one-and-only attempt? Is there another tool offered by Adobe that can make CSS animations and interactivity? 

Thanks

Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of an Adobe tool. Looking at the Hype forums there seems to be a lot of questions and answers about getting Hype to work with Illustrator. Is there a workflow problem you've hit that they may have a solution for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, 

I just posted over there. We will find out. 

Thank you for your explanation and help, I do appreciate it!

Thanks

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines