• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I tried importing png/svg/eps/ai files from illustrator into animate but it won't let me edit them

New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I tried to import a png file I had exported from illustrator and I put it onto my timeline in animate cc, but when I tried to erase/edit it didn't make any changes. In more detail, I would drag the eraser tool across my imported file and it would show the white lines being made, but when they disapeared the image was not affected. I am sure I was on the selected layer, so that is not the problem, I don't think. I also tried many other file formats to see if I could edit them. I tried png, svg, eps, ai, and jpg. But everytime I would try to erase it wouldn't let me do it. I also tried 'saving as' instead of exporting, but it didn't make a difference. I cleared up all the warnings when importing the file also. I just don't understand why I cannot edit the image that I have imported. For more clarification, the image I imported was made in illustrator and I drew it with the brush and pencil tools, it also was converted to live paint. I could really use some help, so please, I'm really desperate because this is driving me crazy. I feel like there is probably one thing I am doing wrong, but I just can't figure it out. So mainly, how should I export/import the file so that I can erase/edit it in animate, with a file created in illustrator?

TOPICS
Error , How to , Import and export , Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi mate,

You have to learn the basics of Animate. 

You have to learn the difference between raster and vector graphics.

PNG and JPG are raster formats, while Animate is a vector program. You can break apart the raster file and somehow trim or erase it, but this is not real editing.

SVG and AI can be vector or combine vector and raster elements.

Most likely stuff created in Illustrator will be grouped or some symbols will be created during import.

So back to the original statement: You have to learn how to use Animate and then you will be able to adequately interpret the problems you have and solve them.

You can begin here: https://helpx.adobe.com/animate/tutorials.html

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines