Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported SWF doesn't show child animations

Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I'm working on a Canvas project in Animate.

I have a main FLA file. Into that main FLA, I've imported a SWF file that has child MCs with animation. [For example my main FLA has a road and into that Road.FLA, I import a SWF file of a bike with wheels that rotate. Those rotating wheels are child MCs within the Bike.FLA.]

Of course, when I publish the Bike.FLA, I see the wheels rotate in the browser.

When I export (from the Bike.FLA) the Bike.SWF file and open it up in a browser, I see the wheels rotate as well.

When I import that Bike.FLA into my main, Road.FLA and publish it, the wheels no longer rotate. What am I doing wrong?

There is likely some basic principal I'm overlooking.

Thanks much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Paul

nickg28 is correct.

That what you attempting to do is impossible. Your Road.FLA is an HTML5/Canvas project, your Bike.FLA/SWF is an AS3 project. I made a quick test with a Canvas project importing a SWF (with a simple animation). One can import a SWF into a Canvas FLA, but the animation is gone. It is nonsense to allow the import of a SWF into a HTML5/Canvas FLA in the first place. But you have to see a SWF in an HTML5/Canvas context simply as a still illustration and nothing more.

The times

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you importing a swf? Why not just have the tires in a moveclip in the bike fla? Do you not have the fla to the swf you are importing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul

nickg28 is correct.

That what you attempting to do is impossible. Your Road.FLA is an HTML5/Canvas project, your Bike.FLA/SWF is an AS3 project. I made a quick test with a Canvas project importing a SWF (with a simple animation). One can import a SWF into a Canvas FLA, but the animation is gone. It is nonsense to allow the import of a SWF into a HTML5/Canvas FLA in the first place. But you have to see a SWF in an HTML5/Canvas context simply as a still illustration and nothing more.

The times have changed. In the era of Flash/AS3 one could nest external SWF's into a main FLA/AS3 (i.e. into a movieclip placeholder) with the Loader Class and all interactivity and animations kept running in the main FLA. This is gone when you create Canvas output. You can't nest a canvas into another canvas.

What you have to do is to create in your FLA/Canvas a movieclip "bike" with independent motion (spinning of wheels) and use that throughout.

Klaus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks nickg28 and Klaus.

I did not know I could copy a movie clip from one FLA to another. Sheesh.

I only exported a SWF because the FLA of the 'bike' was built separately, it actually has many moving parts and I thought that it was best to export all that as a SWF to import into the main FLA. (Actually the animation on the main timeline of that Bike.SWF works in the main FLA. It's just the animations in the child MCs that don't play.)

Thanks for showing me my mistaken assumptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines