• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues creating a skew effect with motion tween?

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I teach an intro to animation using Adobe Animate.  Currently we are exploring the basics of motion tweening for animating simple objects.

I am having a problem (an error I assume) with motion tweening a skew to create a sway effect. 

Previously using free transform, it was possible to move the centre point of the object to one of it's edges then click and drag on the opposite edge of the bounding box to skew the object along either the x or y axis.  With a motion tween, then would then produce a simplistic sway effect.

Now when I attempt this the skew affects the opposite axis (i.e. if I am attempting to create a horistonal skew, it is will actually skew vertically and visa versa) the 3d rotation tools are also kicking in and distorting the object.   Initially, it will look as if it is working but then snap to the other axis.  Skew is not an issue until the motion tween is applied & works normally on a standard keyframe.

As a work around I either have to go to my transform properties dialogue and re-create the skew using the hortizonal and vertical fields - but using the opposite field (i.e. horizontal to create a vertical skew & vertical to create a horiztonal skew, which is a montonous and counter intuitive process).  Alternatively I could also use a classic tween - although this process is tedious now that I have become accustomed to using motion tweens.  It is also very confusing to my students who are at a very early stage with their learning & are dependant on the tools behaving intuituvely.

This issue has only surfaced after the update to Animate 2020.

I would be very grateful if anyone could offer assitance?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Inflicting Motion Tweens on beginners instead of sticking to Classic Tweens should be some kind of war crime. I can't even figure those things out.

That being said, the behavior you're describing isn't new. For years now the free transform tool operates around the object's transformation point (the small white circle). So you can either move the transformation point, or (my preferred approach) hold down the Alt key while dragging, which invokes the much older non-mirrored transform behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inflicting Motion Tweens on beginners instead of sticking to Classic Tweens should be some kind of war crime. I can't even figure those things out.

That being said, the behavior you're describing isn't new. For years now the free transform tool operates around the object's transformation point (the small white circle). So you can either move the transformation point, or (my preferred approach) hold down the Alt key while dragging, which invokes the much older non-mirrored transform behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

War crime?  I'm amused.  I opt to teach motion tweens in the beginning for (very) simple animation as the keyframing is automated & learners who are new to timeline based software packages find this initially easier to cope with.  As things begin to get more advanced we circle back to classic tweening and look more closely at the pros and cons of each.  I have been teaching using this approach for years and never encountered this issue, which led me to think that this was a bug or change in how the tools were now behaving.

I am aware of the transform tools dependance on the position of the transformation point & this is not the basis of the issue I am having.   My issue is that attempt to produce a horiztonal skew produces a vertical one and visa-versa.  When dragging or when using the transform dialogue.  This is more of an annoyance than anything major - the majority of the class are now happily creating their skew effects using the opposite axis.

Thanks for your time in answering!  I'll ponder on my crimes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue.  Skewing totally wrecks every tween I've attempted.  Shape, motion and classic.  It simply will not work.  I've even attempted the tween inside a nested symbol.  I just wan software that performs basic animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines