Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

keyboard events in iframe

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

in a game i use keyboard events in canvas/html. in normal exported html all works fine.

Trying to play the game in an separate html with  iframe-tag,  keyboard events are nor recognized.

Is there a workaround for this?

Kind regards.

TOPICS
Code , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

You'll have to forward keyboard events from the parent frame to the iframe. If your content will always be on a web server, and the parent frame and iframe content will always be on the same domain, you can use cross-document scripting. You'd put something like this in the parent document:

window.myIframe = document.getElementById("whatever the ID of your iframe is").contentWindow;
window.addEventListener("keydown", function(evt) { myIframe.myKeydownEventHandler(evt); });

However, if you try

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to forward keyboard events from the parent frame to the iframe. If your content will always be on a web server, and the parent frame and iframe content will always be on the same domain, you can use cross-document scripting. You'd put something like this in the parent document:

window.myIframe = document.getElementById("whatever the ID of your iframe is").contentWindow;
window.addEventListener("keydown", function(evt) { myIframe.myKeydownEventHandler(evt); });

However, if you try to run this from a local drive, or the parent page and iframe content will ever be on different servers, the above will trigger an XSS (cross-site scripting) error in the browser. The solution in this case is to use postMessage(), which is slightly more complicated. In the parent document you'd have:

window.addEventListener("keydown", function(evt) { myIframe.postMessage(JSON.stringify({type:"KeyboardEvent", key:evt.key})); });

Then in the iframe document you'll need another function:

window.addEventListener("message", handleMessage);
function handleMessage(evt) {
	var msg = JSON.parse(evt.data);
	if (typeof msg === "object" && msg.type && msg.type === "KeyboardEvent") {
		window.dispatchEvent("keydown", {key:msg.key});
	}
}

I must stress the above has not been tested. But the general idea is to grab the "key" value from the keyboard event, then post it as a message to the iframe, which catches the message and uses its data to attempt to spoof a local keyboard event, which should be picked up by your already-extant keyboard event listener. This last part might not work as-is because it's not sending a proper Event object with all the usual properties. You could work around the event-spoofing entirely by just adding a third function, called by both your message and keyboard listeners, that directly accepts and acts upon the key value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, thanks for the immediate answer.
in the meantime i googled for iframe and keyboard eventerrors  and found
this snippet, which works for me.
if the html is in the same directory, it works also for me without server.

<br>scrolling="no" width="550" height="400">

if i have to set the iframe-source to different servers, i will have to
study your post again.
thanks for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess we just have to imagine what the snippet was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...oops, my code was wrong formatted, sorry.

<iframe id="EdgeID" src="myanimate.html" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" width="550" height="400"></iframe>
<script>
    setTimeout(machet,100);
    function machet() {
        //alert("machet");
        document.getElementById("EdgeID").contentWindow.focus();
    }
</script>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That will only work once. The moment the user clicks anywhere outside the iframe, you're back to the original problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines