• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer Parenting Doesnt Actually work.

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was first really stoked about the new layer parenting system. I was disappointed when I realized that it really does not work properly.

If I keframe lipsync for multiple frames of my characters mouth, then parent the mouth layer to the head layer I expect that all of the mouth frames on the mouth layer will inherit the rotation of the head layer.

I found that this was not the case. Only the mouth keyframe at the current frame where I rotated the head will rotate. all the others will remain in place. 

That is not how layer parenting works. Every frame in the layer is suppose to inherit the rotation, not just one.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Layer parenting is animated using keyframes - so this is expected behavior.

What would solve your problem though - is if you wrapped your graphic symbol lip sync in another symbol and used that with the layer parenting feature. Then you could do lip-sync internal to the symbol timeline but parent the layer the instance exists upon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer parenting is animated using keyframes - so this is expected behavior.

What would solve your problem though - is if you wrapped your graphic symbol lip sync in another symbol and used that with the layer parenting feature. Then you could do lip-sync internal to the symbol timeline but parent the layer the instance exists upon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Joseph but that really defeats the purpose and benefit of a parenting system. I can already accomplish the the same concept that you recommended without parenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now use a few rules that help with layer parenting

1. parent layers should not contain actual artwork. Only control shapes
  2. parent layers should use motion tween, not classic motion tween.
  3. layers with artwork can only be parented to control layers, not another layer with artwork

When I use these rules parenting speeds up the workflow incredibly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Motion Tweens don't allow animators who require syncing of nested frames to actually control the nested frames anywhere beyond frame 1. This is the reason why we still have Classic tweens - because animators need to create keyframes and choose which nested frames are to be visible at that point in time.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Joseph I just puplished some Comment about Layer Parenting in Animate 2022.

Layer Parenting definiitively does not work properly. 

Please try to open the Fla files I attached first in Version 2021 and then in Version 2022 - The result is really very different. 

Version 2022 does not display the animated legs properly. 

I do not think this is a feature - it is a malfunction. 

Geetings Jens 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an effort to be even more helpful, using Layer Parenting or not, I always have my lip syncing nested inside the head symbol that is nested inside the entire character's "rig".

To clarify:

Symbol 1: the entire character

Double-click Symbol 1 and you'll find the character's body parts, all symbols on different layers. The head symbol is on it's own layer inside of Symbol 1.

Double click the HEAD symbol: Here you will find all the symbols that make up the character's head (face, eyes, brows, nose, ears and most notably: the mouth.

Double click the MOUTH symbol: Inside this symbol you'll find all the different mouth phenoms on different keyframes.

LIP SYNC: I do this inside the head symbol. This is where I also do all of the character's facial expressions based on the voice over audio.

Inside of Symbol 1 is where I do all the poses and the rotation of the head (the head contains the character's head that contains all of the talking, blinking, brow movements and anything else specific to the face/head.

So in your example, you are doing all the lip sync too close to the root/parent/main timeline in my estimation. It's makes things too complicated because it's all on one timeline. Always best practice to isolate as many timelines necessary based on the different tasks at hand.

In the case of using Layer Parenting, if your lip syncing and all facial animation where contained inside a single "HEAD" symbol, that symbol can be parented and all nested animation would follow appropriately.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I found out about parenting I was excited because I could move shadow layers along with the layers they're attached to. But when I used parenting and moved the parent layer, the parented layer didn't move. Yet in the videos it works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's def not how it should work and I haven't experienced a child not moving with the parent - can you provide a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines