• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac projector "can't be opened. You should move it to the trash."

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems with Mac projectors under High Sierra. If I create the .app and run it on the same machine, all is fine. However, if I move it to another machine I get the message '"app name" can't be opened. You should move it to the trash.'

I've read that this probably has something to do with High Sierra's Gatekeeper function but is there any solution besides totally disabling Gatekeeper via Terminal commands?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

I think I have seen that before, and fixed the projector by replacing the Flash Player. I just tried a test with your projector, and it seemed to work. Go into show package contents of any Flash Player.app that works for you, and copy its MacOS/Flash Player Unix file into the projector's MacOS folder (replacing the suspect one). In my test I used Flash Player 26.0.0.137, because it was very close to the file size of your projector's Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm not sure that's the problem.  you should see a different message, if it were: macOS Sierra: Open an app from an unidentified developer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I Control-Click and choose Open, I get the same message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple removed the ability to open files downloaded from "Anywhere" in High Sierra. The only choices are "App Store" or "App Store and Identified Developers."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ratio99's problem may well be solved with what kglad said about changing the security settings.

ransombb's problem could be the age of the projector. I can make projectors and they work fine, even if I move them to another drive, or set them to open in 32 bit instead of 64 bit.

I can't easily test it on another machine though. ransom99, do you have a projector I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have one here — I'm working off-site today — but will post one of the problem children tonight or in the morning. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hopefully flying to London tonight. I'll be back online some time tomorrow evening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MVP, change the security settings doesn't work for me.

This is the image with the error message that appears. (image in spanish)

"6% animated flies" is damaged and can not be opened. You should move it to the trash.

"animated flies 6porciento" is in the disk image "Moscas.dmg" Google Chrome has downloaded this disk image today at 10:00 from wetransfer.com

Thanks.

Captura de pantalla 2018-02-27 a las 10.02.07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be willing to let me try the WeTransfer link?

By the way, MVP is a title (Most Valuable Participant I think). I'm normally called Colin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oopps...sorry Colin...and thank you for your help

Here is the link with my projector

WeTransfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ratio99, your projector opens ok, but I don't know what to do next. Pressing a key causing graphics to flash on and off. I never hear sound. But at least the projector opens. You can also right-click Show Package Contents, and get through to movie.swf, to try it that way.

random, each version of yours opens ok, but I get an empty winners list, and clicking Play doesn't do anything. It does play sound.

I'm on High Sierra, so maybe it's not a fair test, but apart from me not knowing how to use the two projectors, they seem to open ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really odd as when I download the usual '“filename” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.' And that's with me downloading back to the same machine that created the projector in the first place. And I'm running High Sierra, too. Projector was built on this machine a couple days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with Chrome, in case that mattered, and it gave a message about how zip files can be dangerous, but I opted to Keep the file, and it worked as well as the Safari one had done.

Do you have FileVault turned on? I have it turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's so weird that it works for you but not me. I tried in both Chrome and Safari as well. When I "Show Package Contents" and drill down, the Flash Player is what's broken. The SWF in package plays just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have seen that before, and fixed the projector by replacing the Flash Player. I just tried a test with your projector, and it seemed to work. Go into show package contents of any Flash Player.app that works for you, and copy its MacOS/Flash Player Unix file into the projector's MacOS folder (replacing the suspect one). In my test I used Flash Player 26.0.0.137, because it was very close to the file size of your projector's Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going in to the Package and copying/pasting Flash Player unix file into the "bad" projector doesn't work here. I can strip out the SWF and it plays fine but the packaged app remains unopenable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

Here is a link to the projector file and its required text file (projector reads a list of names from the text file): Downloading from DiskStation

Also, here's is a direct link to the .app file: Downloading from DiskStation

What I found today was that if I AirDrop the projector to another Mac, it opens fine. But it breaks when stored on the server, either directly as an .app file or within a Zip archive. Dropbox breaks them, too.

Anyhow, thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been struggling with the same issue - very annoying.  Few things I've discovered that work.

1.  This happens when I distribute a projector app via web based download.  Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.  If I send a link to another person or test myself and download via a browser I get the same error - "... is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."  But if I distribute using a sync utiltiy - Dropbox Sync utility or Google Drive's sync utility, the app works.

2. Colin suggested changing the Flash player from within the app itself.  This is working for me as well BUT only if I launch the app from "Show package contents" /contents/MacOS/Flash Player.  So double click Flash Player and it lauches correctly.  Again this is after replacing the flash player with a working local projector files flash player.  IF I go back to the projector icon and attempt to launch (even after replacing the Flash Player) I generate the same error.  

Note: I always zip my files before uploading to distro... still get these errors.  Something is happening in transporting these files.  Wish Adobe could figure this out?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but it happens to me when sending it through some internet service (for example: wetransfer or dropbox). I don't have High Sierra, just Sierra and my client have Mavericks os.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running into the same trouble. Fixed by this command line: xattr -cr AppName.app

Unfortunately, each client have to do it. You should provide a simple bash file, so client don't have to open a terminal, which can be opened by a simple double click along your .app inside a zip 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this same problem in 2021.  Transferring via thumb drive works, but uploading it to any server and redownloading to a MAC seems to corrupt the .app file (which on Windows is a folder).  Has there been any new solution? The command-line suggestion  by Aymeric did not work for me.

If someone can upload a copy of the MAC-generated projector suggested by Colin, that'd be great as a temporary solution, but I'm not as comforable with that since it is confusing for users who may not be very tech savy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines