• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make text selectable HTML5

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that right, that there's no way to accomplish a simple task like making text selectable to copy it within a HTML5 canvas?? I mean it can't be more basic in my opinion ... any ideas how to deal with that?

I created a quite complex interactive graphic and now the client wants the text to be selectable ... I can't tell him that's not possible, sorry ... Thanks in advance for any help 😞

TOPICS
How to , Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canvas text can't be selectable because the canvas is a bitmap element. All text rendered into it is just pixels. You may as well ask to make text in a JPG selectable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is there a workaround? I mean ... I would expect that it's not a very uncommon question for a client to make text within an info graphic selectable. Is it?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is literally not going to happen inside of Animate. When you create a text field you are just drawing text into the canvas. I checked the source for EaselJS and they are using fillText (link to source - MDN article on fillText) which like @ClayUUID said is just text rendered into pixels. In effect, there's no text to select, the dom just sees it as a image. To do what you're asking you'd need to create a DOM element to have the text selectable. You'd have to code that though, there's no support in Animate for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines