• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mouseover Layers Issue

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am having a problem in Animate where mouseover layers are being triggered even if there is something over the top. In the below picture the green overlay should not be triggered unless I mouseover the green button below it, and it shouldn't be triggered when the mouse is over the grey popup at all. It seems that even thought the grey popup is above the green one it still triggers the mouseover when the mouse goes into the area where it would be below it (hope that makes sense!). Is there a way to fix this? Each item is on it's own layer in the timeline.hover-layer-issue.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to block a button is with another button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I would need to turn the grey box into a button? That seems pretty weird that it can "see through" layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as "seeing through" a layer. Layers are just an abstract organizational concept. There is no such thing as a "mouseover layer" in Animate. I don't know where you got that expression from. There are buttons, and sometimes movieclips that have been made to act like buttons. Mouse events do not care about layers. Mouse events do not care about anything except symbols that are listening for mouse events. The only thing the mouse event dispatcher looks for is the boundaries of all the current buttons, and which one is highest if any of them overlap. Whichever button the mouse is within, gets the mouse events.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it was expecting it to behave more like HTML with layers above others taking precedence over mouse events. Now I know that buttons block layers behind then I can convert some of the items I need into buttons.

Some strange concepts for me right now (coming from HTML), but thanks for your help it got me headed in the right direction I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now I know that buttons block layers behind then..."

Buttons. Don't. Block. Layers. Buttons block other buttons. "Blocking a layer" is a nonsense statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but how is that a "nonsense statement", the very fact that they are called layers implies that there is some heirarchy, so I would expect that something "above" something else would stop/"block" anything below it, seeing as I have attached the eventListener to the object in a layer below. The logical thing for me would be to not trigger events on anything that isn't visible, whether that because it's hidden or because there is something else over the top of it. Anyway, I understand now that it doesn't work in the way I expected, as many other things in Animate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a nonsense statement because you can't point at anything on the stage and say "that's a layer". Layers are (primarily) just a mechanism for assigning Z-depth.

If you had button #1 in a higher layer and button #2 in a lower layer, button #1 would only block button #2 if it was physically covering it up. It wasn't, button #2 would not be blocked. Thus, button #1 is not "blocking the layer".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you a lot for this hint!
I've spent 2 hours, trying to solve this "issue" with buttons and with your hint I've solved it finally!

Godspeed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines