Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help doing gotoAndStop on a nested movie clip in HTML5/CreateJS

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have been looking for the solution to this and have tried multiple things but to no avail. I am super new to Adobe Animate so it might be something I'm completely overlooking.

My project is set up like this:

• Scene 1 (Main Timeline) > MAN1_MC (First Child Movie Clip) > EDITBUTTON_MAN1and2_MC (Second Child Movie Clip)
  • I have buttons that, when clicked, should go to a different frame of the Second Child Movie Clip 

My code for reference:

var root = this;
root.stop();

var who_value = 0;
window.edit_value = 0;
console.log(edit_value);

/* BACKGROUND MENU */
root.MENU_BUTTON8.addEventListener("click", fl_ClickToGoToAndStopAtFrame_2.bind(root)); 

function fl_ClickToGoToAndStopAtFrame_2() {
	root.gotoAndStop("BG_COLOR_MENU_BUTTON");
}

root.MAN_BUTTON.addEventListener("click", fl_ClickToGoToAndStopAtFrame_WHO.bind(root, 1));
root.WOMAN_BUTTON.addEventListener("click", fl_ClickToGoToAndStopAtFrame_WHO.bind(root, 2));
root.MANWOMAN_BUTTON.addEventListener("click", fl_ClickToGoToAndStopAtFrame_WHO.bind(root, 0));
root.MANMAN_BUTTON.addEventListener("click", fl_ClickToGoToAndStopAtFrame_WHO.bind(root, 3));
root.WOMANWOMAN_BUTTON.addEventListener("click", fl_ClickToGoToAndStopAtFrame_WHO.bind(root, 4));

function fl_ClickToGoToAndStopAtFrame_WHO(who_number) {
	who_value = who_number;
	root.WHOBUTTONOVERLAY_MC.gotoAndStop(who_value);

if (who_value == 1 || who_value == 3) {
		window.edit_value = 2;
		console.log(window.edit_value);
		root.MAN1_MC.EDITBUTTON_MAN1and2_MC.gotoAndStop(1);
	}
}

Despite this, what I want doesn't work and I get the error "Cannot read property gotoAndStop of undefined" in the Console.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is this a load error (which I have read on many answers and have tried to fix)? Am I calling the children incorrectly? Any help is appreciated!

-Melanie

TOPICS
ActionScript , Error , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

just above your problematic code put:

console.log("calling MAN1_MC.EDITBUTTON_MAN1and2_MC");

and on the 2nd frame of MAN1_MC.EDITBUTTON_MAN1and2_MC put:

console.log(this.name);

console.log(this.parent.name);

test>open your console and check the log statements.  if that doesn't make clear your error, post the three log statements in another message.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just above your problematic code put:

console.log("calling MAN1_MC.EDITBUTTON_MAN1and2_MC");

and on the 2nd frame of MAN1_MC.EDITBUTTON_MAN1and2_MC put:

console.log(this.name);

console.log(this.parent.name);

test>open your console and check the log statements.  if that doesn't make clear your error, post the three log statements in another message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply! I have to admit - I feel somewhat honored getting a reply from you. I've definitely been saved before by your answers on other threads.

Your debugging advice was very helpful. When I did it, I ended up getting null in the console log for all the names. That led me to find this other thread (https://community.adobe.com/t5/animate/movieclip-instance-names-not-available-from-name-property-in-...) where I learned that instance names aren't available from just the .name property in Animate CC 2017 (which is what I have). I added the code from ClayUUID in the first frame of my main timeline and through more of the same type of debugging I realized that first, I had a typo in the name of one of my instances (woops) and second, I hadn't even named the other instance (double woops). 

All this explanation is just for any future person who might find this thread helpful. Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines