Object Drawing mode doesn't work with the Pen tool - version 21.0.1

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If I activate Object Drawing while using the Brush, Line, Oval, or Rectangle tool, it creates a separate object as expected (I verify it by switching to the Selection Tool, clicking on the new object, and seeing its bounding box appear). However, when I do the same with the Pen tool, it doesn't create a separate object. The path just merges with the overlapping paths, as if I never would have selected Object Drawing. Am I missing something or is it a bug for this version?

Animate 20.0.1 - Object Drawing Issue.png

TOPICS
Error, Performance, Product issue

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't see that when i use the pen tool in object mode

can you duplicate the issue?  if yes, explain the exact steps to reproduce the problem.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Thank you for answering. Yes, I can duplicate the issue. YOu can see a video of the issue in the following link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sT_RGgkigRsIEBu_OTIoD1_qrJj3kid2/view?usp=sharing

In the video, you can see the following actions:

1. Select the Pen tool

2. Activate Object Drawing

3. Draw a line

4. Switch to the Selection tool

5. Select the path but no bounding box appear despite the Object Drawing option being active)

6. Move the path to show that it is not an object

7. Draw a circle with the Object Drawing option active

8. Switch to the Selection tool

9. Click on the circle and the bounding box appear (as expected since the Object Drawing option is active)

10. Select the Pen tool

11. Keep Object Drawing active and draw another path overlapping the previous path

12. The new path merges with the path beneath indicating that none of the paths are treated as isolated objects, even though Object Drawing was selected

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's not what i see at step 5.  i see the bounding box.

reset your preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/animate/using/set-preferences.html

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kglad.

Happy new year btw.

Can you take a screenshot of the video at what you are interpreting as Step 5? As far as I can see, the issue remains even after resetting the preferences as per the link provided. That is, a line created with the Pen tool with the Object Drawing option active will still merge with other lines beneath and behave as if the Object Drawing option would not have been selected. No bounding box of any kind appear enclosing the line upon selection with the Selection tool. Object Drawing works when creating elements with other tools (e.g. Oval, Rectangle, Brush, or Line) though.

Here I attach a comparison of two elements created with Object Drawing activated as they look upon selection with the Selection tool. One is a circle created with the Oval tool and the other is a curved line created with the Pen tool. Notice that there is no blue bounding around the line as around the circle.

Animate 20.0.1 - Object Drawing Issue pic2.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad.

What you did in the video is exactly what I want to accomplish but, for some reason unknown to me, I can't. Here's a link to a video where I repeat what you did in yours step by step, but the bounding box is not created. That behavior is really weird. What could it be? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f9Yrt2TpnW-AScar_wo9x3Y8ecR2VJ4D/view?usp=sharing

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

restart your computer and retry.

if that fails, reset your preferences, https://helpx.adobe.com/animate/using/set-preferences.html

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines