If I activate Object Drawing while using the Brush, Line, Oval, or Rectangle tool, it creates a separate object as expected (I verify it by switching to the Selection Tool, clicking on the new object, and seeing its bounding box appear). However, when I do the same with the Pen tool, it doesn't create a separate object. The path just merges with the overlapping paths, as if I never would have selected Object Drawing. Am I missing something or is it a bug for this version?
i don't see that when i use the pen tool in object mode
can you duplicate the issue? if yes, explain the exact steps to reproduce the problem.
Thank you for answering. Yes, I can duplicate the issue. YOu can see a video of the issue in the following link:
In the video, you can see the following actions:
1. Select the Pen tool
2. Activate Object Drawing
3. Draw a line
4. Switch to the Selection tool
5. Select the path but no bounding box appear despite the Object Drawing option being active)
6. Move the path to show that it is not an object
7. Draw a circle with the Object Drawing option active
8. Switch to the Selection tool
9. Click on the circle and the bounding box appear (as expected since the Object Drawing option is active)
10. Select the Pen tool
11. Keep Object Drawing active and draw another path overlapping the previous path
12. The new path merges with the path beneath indicating that none of the paths are treated as isolated objects, even though Object Drawing was selected
Happy new year btw.
Can you take a screenshot of the video at what you are interpreting as Step 5? As far as I can see, the issue remains even after resetting the preferences as per the link provided. That is, a line created with the Pen tool with the Object Drawing option active will still merge with other lines beneath and behave as if the Object Drawing option would not have been selected. No bounding box of any kind appear enclosing the line upon selection with the Selection tool. Object Drawing works when creating elements with other tools (e.g. Oval, Rectangle, Brush, or Line) though.
Here I attach a comparison of two elements created with Object Drawing activated as they look upon selection with the Selection tool. One is a circle created with the Oval tool and the other is a curved line created with the Pen tool. Notice that there is no blue bounding around the line as around the circle.
What you did in the video is exactly what I want to accomplish but, for some reason unknown to me, I can't. Here's a link to a video where I repeat what you did in yours step by step, but the bounding box is not created. That behavior is really weird. What could it be?