• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paint Bucket tool not working on shape drawn with Oval tool.

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot for the life of me get the paint bucket tool to change the color of a shape I drew earlier with the Oval tool. I've read through several threads on the paint bucket not working, but none of the solutions work. Changing the Fill Gap settings does not fix the issue, and there is no option anywhere to toggle Object Drawing.

The closest I can get to what I want is to set a tint to a different color and then set the tint to 100%, but I need to know how to actually change the color of this object with the Paint Bucket tool.

Any ideas what's going on?

TOPICS
How to , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

then it's a symbol and that explains why you can't use the bucket tool.

if you want to change just the color of the one instance, select it > color effect (in the properties panel) > tint.

if you want to change all instances of the symbol, double click it or edit the library symbol.  if there's a shape on stage, you can use the paint bucket tool.  if there's a nested symbol, repeat the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you select the oval that you previously drew? 

are you trying to select it from a non-keyframe (especially a tween span)?

is it on a locked layer?

is it part of a tween?

if you can select it, can you change its fill (using the properties panel)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can select the oval I drew. I'm trying to select it from a single frame. No tweens or other effects have been applied. The layer isn't locked, either.

The Paint Bucket tool has a "fill" property in the Tool pane which is set to the color I want, but my Oval has no such setting. Clicking it takes me to the Object pane where the closest thing I have are color effects None, Brightness, Tint, Advanced, and Alpha.

To add to this, I'm not actually able to use the Paint Bucket on anything in my scene. It just seems completely non-functional. Though I can use the pencil and brushes without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right click the oval and see if you have the option to show it in your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the option to show it in my library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then it's a symbol and that explains why you can't use the bucket tool.

if you want to change just the color of the one instance, select it > color effect (in the properties panel) > tint.

if you want to change all instances of the symbol, double click it or edit the library symbol.  if there's a shape on stage, you can use the paint bucket tool.  if there's a nested symbol, repeat the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a Bitmap image manipulation program, and the paint bucket is used to fill solid pixels of color.

Using the Oval tool means you are creating a Vector shape (Vector shapes are scaleable, Bitmaps are not - since you lose image quality).

To change the color of the Vector shape you click the color swatch in the Options bar on top which you will see when the tool or the shape is selected.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 11.19.26 AM.png

Hope that helps,

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines