Highlighted

Playing back in the timeline, or Testing animation, and final exported video speed is not the same

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a beginner in animation, and still not sure if I miss some details, please bare with me 🙂

It seems to me, it is not possible to determine if a movement is too fast, or too slow, until one doesnt actually export the final video, in adobe animate?

That's making it alnost impossible to me, to create animations without exporting those every time you add some new movements,  checking if they look OK, and make adjustements, export again, etc.

In detail:

1. Create any kind of movement (animation) with Adobe Animate and play it back in the timeline of A. Animate:

It shows at a certain (slow) speed, and you will work until that looks OK (add or remove frames, etc etc, so a movement is not too fast, not too slow).

2. Now test that (test the animated movie with A. Animate, in Controls > Test)

It now shows at a certain other (faster) speed than while playing back the timeline

Generally, in the Test, the movement will be faster than seen in the timeline

3. Then exporting the movie...

It shows once again at a different (fast) speed

Yes, I can apply this knowledge and consider that what I see in the timeline will be approx 5 times faster when exported.
Still it makes it for me totally confusing creating animation - what am I doing wrong?
I can't believe this is the intended default behavior.

At least, test output and final movie, should be the precise same thing?

I see the use of a "slower" timeline playback, yes, but I still want to see what I produce, as a final thing.

I really hope I am doing it wrong and someone here will tell me how to test my animation so that I see what I will get in the export!

😄

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to, Other, Timeline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Playing back in the timeline, or Testing animation, and final exported video speed is not the same

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a beginner in animation, and still not sure if I miss some details, please bare with me 🙂

It seems to me, it is not possible to determine if a movement is too fast, or too slow, until one doesnt actually export the final video, in adobe animate?

That's making it alnost impossible to me, to create animations without exporting those every time you add some new movements,  checking if they look OK, and make adjustements, export again, etc.

In detail:

1. Create any kind of movement (animation) with Adobe Animate and play it back in the timeline of A. Animate:

It shows at a certain (slow) speed, and you will work until that looks OK (add or remove frames, etc etc, so a movement is not too fast, not too slow).

2. Now test that (test the animated movie with A. Animate, in Controls > Test)

It now shows at a certain other (faster) speed than while playing back the timeline

Generally, in the Test, the movement will be faster than seen in the timeline

3. Then exporting the movie...

It shows once again at a different (fast) speed

Yes, I can apply this knowledge and consider that what I see in the timeline will be approx 5 times faster when exported.
Still it makes it for me totally confusing creating animation - what am I doing wrong?
I can't believe this is the intended default behavior.

At least, test output and final movie, should be the precise same thing?

I see the use of a "slower" timeline playback, yes, but I still want to see what I produce, as a final thing.

I really hope I am doing it wrong and someone here will tell me how to test my animation so that I see what I will get in the export!

😄

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to, Other, Timeline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 14, 2019 0
Guide ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

You are correct!

The recent versions of Animate are very sluggish. Flash used to be much faster, but it is not available any more via CC.

Whether they will manage to improve performance is quite uncertain at this stage.

Just get into the habit of pressing Ctrl+Enter to see the preview at real speed.

If you want to loop a section just put markers to define it.

Here is a little sample how to do it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v4GKdPb8aF2n8UIbM6DIGAXuVXsnFg0_

Good luck and have fun!

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh, so that's a performance issue! I would never have suspected that, however, noticed those old (flash) tutorials A) did not have the test tool, and B) did not have that "delay" when playing back the timeline...

Thanks for confirming - and for replying all my questions so far 😛 !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 1
Guide ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're most welcome, mate!

Poor playback of timeline in program is a performance issue which has gotten much worse in recent years, but it always depended on the complexity of the scene. 

Even though Flash is much faster it was never perfect and there always was the quick SWF preview, which is quite reliable.

A lot of the tutorials that you would see on youtube will be very simple, so they would not need to 'test'. Many of the people who confidently demonstrate stuff are, unfortunately, very incompetent. It's inevitable - Flash was hugely popular and lots of kids were keen to show how they use it.

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 0