Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

poor performance

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone.

I am a professional animator and I work on television productions. I recently started using Adobe Animate (build 408) for some freelance work. This is my first time using Animate, I used to use Flash maybe five years ago for a different show. I think it was Flash 5.5 or something, and it worked fine. I have since been using Toon Boom Harmony for several years now.

I have to say, the performance in Adobe Animate is outright disappointing. I would have never expected such poor performance. I will make a key and it will take maybe 3 or 4 seconds to register this change. Playback and scrubbing is abysmal. Is there some secret setting I should check for regular performance? I am working with a 21 MB file at the moment and it is just so bad. My processor and GPU show that they are barely stressed as I am working, and I have plenty of RAM left.

I have done shots in TB that are several GB in size with no issue.

My specs are as follows:

Windows 10
Ryzen 3700X (8 cores, 16 threads)
32GB RAM
nvidia 1050ti
Two monitors, one is 4k, the other 1080p.

I am hoping that I am not going to be paying for a product that works so poorly, hopefully this is an issue with an easy fix.

Thank you

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Hi mate,

As Kglad suggested, try running one monitor, but not the 4k one; just the 1080 and see if that makes it run ok.

Animate has been plagued with huge performance issues since the name change. Some versions are worse than others, none are on par with Flash Pro CS6.

There have been many posts that it cannot effectively handle high resolution displays.

You can try to shrink the surface of the program to see if that improves performance, just to confirm that it can't run that many pixels.

Still

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try using 1 monitor to see if that's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I am trying that right now but it seems to be the same (I also restarted the computer).

Does Animate not work with more than one monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been having performance issues since installing it, or has it developed over time?  Is it all the time, or only certain files?

In the first instance, I'd suggest the usual first troubleshooting steps:

- Update to the latest version of Animate

- Make sure all your drivers are up to date

- Reset preferences by holding down Control+Alt+Shift as you start Animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for your response.

No, I just installed it last Thursday, it has been like this ever since.

Also, it is less of an issue on some of my other files (still not very snappy at all), but I don't have much to go on since I just started this new job and don't have many shots to expirement with. 

I just sent the same file to my spouse and she opened it on her computer and it runs just fine, this seems to be isolated to my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been work with Animate since it used to be flash and now its called Animate and I have to say I have never had a performance issue. I will say it did crash on me, but that with any software.

Have you tried restarting your machine, close all other programs, or try a uninstall and reinstall? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, thanks for your response.

I have restarted the machine several times, and shut down all other programs to no avail. 

I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling though, I only just installed it on Thursday or Friday. This is a fresh install on a computer that is only a few months old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you see the problem with one monitor the next thing to do is to reset your preferences  but check for a multi-monitor issue first.

to reset your preferences -

https://helpx.adobe.com/animate/kb/animate-cc-crashes-on-launch-startup.html

(or remove

Win:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate CC \ and
C\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Animate\\

Mac:

/Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe// and
/Users//Library/Preferences/Adobe/Animate//)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

As Kglad suggested, try running one monitor, but not the 4k one; just the 1080 and see if that makes it run ok.

Animate has been plagued with huge performance issues since the name change. Some versions are worse than others, none are on par with Flash Pro CS6.

There have been many posts that it cannot effectively handle high resolution displays.

You can try to shrink the surface of the program to see if that improves performance, just to confirm that it can't run that many pixels.

Still... what you describe is quite extreme and unusual.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues on a MacBook Pro 15 inch Retina (mid 2015). I know it's not the newest mashine anymore but before "Animate" the program peformed much better. I can't even get very simple animations to run realtime when previewing the timeline within the program. Performance is also not too good when running within an browser but still a lot better.

Seems to me adobe focus more on expensive animations rather then looking at ads or similar (which is my main use for the program) that should be done with after effects or whatever..

Can't remember an update that really improved something or at least didn't introduce mor bugs (like the recent "can't nudge with keyboard when editing multiple keyframes" - issue. It has been fixed in the meantime but come on!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

among my computers, i use an early 2015 macbook pro 13 with 16gb ram, and don't have problems except for compiling (testing and publishing) very large (~500mb+) fla files when there's a significant delay in completing the publishing. 

when i was using an 8gb ram mac, things were worse.  with my next mac i intend to get, at least, 32gb ram.

i work around my current mac problem by using my pc (with 32gb ram) for all the major work creating and debugging large projects and then continuing the project on my mac just for final testing and publishing for ios apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Honestly, this issue is company wide. Adobe quality control is a joke. I keep buying faster machines, but its not the hardware, its the poorly coded and patched products they've been revising for over 15 years. Redundant processes and old data structures. They don't care. They have a monopoly. Have you tried Character Animator? Each keypress takes 10+ secs to register on an i9, 64 gb ram, nvme ssd. Its a joke. I can use any other resource intensive software on my rig with zero issues. Adobe takes more resources than Maya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines