Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove white outline on transparent gif

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I imported an svg file into Animate CC and after animating it, exported it as animated gif. I set the background as transparent.

However, the image shows an unintended faint white outline when viewed on the browser!

After going through the forum, i also added the following code in the 'Actions' panel on the first frame of the first layer.

canvas.style.backgroundColor="rgba(0,0,0,0)";

document.body.style.backgroundColor = "rgba(0,0,0,0)";

But in vain.

Here's the link:

http://wizdreamz.com/TrialWebsite/images/trial.gif

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Jayashree

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Hi

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply! I truly appreciate the effort.

Actually i used 'Map/unmap selected colors from/to transparent' option, under File > Export > Export Animated Gif, which reduced the appearance of the outline to a great extent.

Even then, the final result was not satisfactory. As the image had to be used on a multicolored background, it required total transparency. So, I ended up publishing it as an html file instead and inserted the html code in my original html file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try playing around with the color reduction algorithm and dithering. For some reason the GIF you posted won't load for me so i can't see what you are describing exactly. Also how may colors are you exporting to GIF format with?

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had opened the link in a new window it would have worked. Something odd about the forum. But it wouldn't have helped, because the page background is white, and so you wouldn't see the issue.

Opening the gif in Preview makes it easier to see the problem:

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 2.13.02 PM.png

It seems to be premultiplying the transparency against white. It does the same for me, it's antialiasing against the stage color.

If the background of the page is going to be black, setting the stage color to black will make the effect less noticeable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can remove the extra color directly.

Delete:

无标题-2.gif'

Not deleted:

无标题-3.gif

捕获.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply! I truly appreciate the effort.

Actually i used 'Map/unmap selected colors from/to transparent' option, under File > Export > Export Animated Gif, which reduced the appearance of the outline to a great extent.

Even then, the final result was not satisfactory. As the image had to be used on a multicolored background, it required total transparency. So, I ended up publishing it as an html file instead and inserted the html code in my original html file. That worked for me.

Below is the screenshot for 'Map/unmap selected colors....'

screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

no option visible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!! I realize that this question is now solved, however, as I was having this issue I had ended up solving it in a different way on newer versions of photoshop (adobe photoshop 2021). 

When you go to file > export > save for web (legacy) there will be numerous options to the right. I selected the "none" option for Matte, and that removed the white outline on my transparent gif. Hopefully this helps for present viewers of this thread!

photoshop1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what worked for me! Thanks Grey_Crows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thank you a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what I needed. Chef's kiss!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chef's kiss, indeed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Amazing!!!! thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines