Highlighted

Reply to n.tilcheff, re. Error when frames copied and pasted in animate cc

Contributor ,
Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

The problem seems to be connected to my use of keyframes to adjust the feet to prevent them going below the ground line. In my earlier screenshots March 1 and 2, you can see where I inserted keyframes at, for example, frames 2 3 and 8 in the Boot F layer. When I cleared those keyframes, everything worked fine when I copied/pasted frames 1 to 20. But, of course, the feet now go below the ground line. Unfortunately, for some reason I don't understand, I cannot see anywhere in this page to insert a screenshot  to show what I mean. I do not know how to correct the feet movement without using keyframes to adjust them. Can you tell me what I should do about that?

Cheers.

Hi mate,

You can just post in the same topic to keep things in context.

Are these layers parented?

If so, this may be the issue, and it is most likely a bug, if I recall correctly. I think I did report something similar to the dev team a couple of months ago.

I would advise that you unparent the feet and match the movement of the legs without using parenting for the feet at all.

From what I see on the screenshots, the keys look normal and if you don't use parenting all would work as expected.

Layer parenting sounds like a good idea, but is still in its infancy and is full of unpleasant surprises and traps.

It is not a production-ready feature.

If your elements are not parented, then you may be dealing with a 'broken' tween, which can happen if you don't have the same symbol present in both left and right keyframes (those Tween symbols in Library indicate automatically created tweens) or if you have moved the transformation point.

Generally speaking, if you have a walk cycle on spot you should create that inside a symbol. There should only be one cycle of two steps. Then this symbol is tweened across the stage while looping. It is a much more flexible approach than to repeat.

Not sure if it will be of interest but a long time ago I wrote this article on nesting cycles and using service frame which may be helpful.

It's quite old and the examples are SWFs so allow flash to run on the site.

A more recent one on understanding registration may also be of some use.

If you are willing to show your FLA, upload it to google drive or any other file sharing service and I will look at it tomorrow-morning as it's past midnight my time now.

Best

NT

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Reply to n.tilcheff, re. Error when frames copied and pasted in animate cc

Contributor ,
Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

The problem seems to be connected to my use of keyframes to adjust the feet to prevent them going below the ground line. In my earlier screenshots March 1 and 2, you can see where I inserted keyframes at, for example, frames 2 3 and 8 in the Boot F layer. When I cleared those keyframes, everything worked fine when I copied/pasted frames 1 to 20. But, of course, the feet now go below the ground line. Unfortunately, for some reason I don't understand, I cannot see anywhere in this page to insert a screenshot  to show what I mean. I do not know how to correct the feet movement without using keyframes to adjust them. Can you tell me what I should do about that?

Cheers.

Hi mate,

If so, this may be the issue, and it is most likely a bug, if I recall correctly. I think I did report something similar to the dev team a couple of months ago.

I would advise that you unparent the feet and match the movement of the legs without using parenting for the feet at all.

From what I see on the screenshots, the keys look normal and if you don't use parenting all would work as expected.

Layer parenting sounds like a good idea, but is still in its infancy and is full of unpleasant surprises and traps.

If your elements are not parented, then you may be dealing with a 'broken' tween, which can happen if you don't have the same symbol present in both left and right keyframes (those Tween symbols in Library indicate automatically created tweens) or if you have moved the transformation point.

Generally speaking, if you have a walk cycle on spot you should create that inside a symbol. There should only be one cycle of two steps. Then this symbol is tweened across the stage while looping. It is a much more flexible approach than to repeat.

Not sure if it will be of interest but a long time ago I wrote this article on nesting cycles and using service frame which may be helpful.

If you are willing to show your FLA, upload it to google drive or any other file sharing service and I will look at it tomorrow-morning as it's past midnight my time now.

Best

NT

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 21, 2019 0
Guide ,
Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Best

NT

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 21, 2019 0