• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotating a outlined circle wobbles, why?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there I draw a perfect circle with an outline (say 20pt thick) and no fill. Then turn it into a graphic symbol with the registration point in the centre. Then make a keyframe. 30 frames later I make another keyframe after I've rotated the circle. Then tween the keyframes. Then when I play the animation the circle has a really wobbly rotation. Is there any reason why? I've never had this issue before in Flash or After Effects, etc.

I would attach my file here but I keep getting this forum error ( The attachment's rotation.fla content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed. )

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Just use a file hosting service such as google drive and post a link to the file, please.

It should not be behaving like that.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it's weird, I tried in Flash 12.0 too and it does the same thing. I've been using Flash for like 10 years and can't beleive I've never come across this before.

But does this work for you?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b3qUHPrKlgJfZ1JOPuF8IPdWCYbctBff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wobbly here as well.

Tried in CC19.2.1 and CS6 - identical results.

Looks like the generated circle is not perfectly circular.

(There is a lot of rounding of values in the way Flash works - so this seems like one more such example.)

So if you need to do this kind of stuff you will have to layer things somehow to fake rotation and avoid the unpleasant effect, or mask the outer shape to hide the wobble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, well the masks worked, but man what a hassle.

I can't beleive I haven't come across that before.

Thanks for your help again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're most welcome, mate!

I'm surprised I had not noticed it before either, since I've made a bunch of rotating suns over the years, but always with beams and glow that reduces contrast, so that would have concealed the problem.

Good luck with your work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This most likely happens because Animate uses quadratic instead of cubic Bezier curves. Quadratic curves are faster to calculate, but provide less control over the shape of the curve. This is why, if you use the point select tool on a newly-drawn circle, you'll see that it requires eight control points to approximate a circle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also encountered the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines