Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting frames on timeline

Participant ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem:

On the timeline, I can select empty frames by clicking on them. So far so good.

But if there is something on the timeline, I can't select a single frame, but the whole of the timeline gets selected.  

I used to make keyframes on the timeline by selecting a frame> then shortcut F6> voila a keyframe. Now I get keyframes all along the timeline. Why is that?

TOPICS
How to , Product issue , Timeline

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Hi mate,

Make sure you switch off "Span Based Selection" in Timeline hamburger menu:

Clipboard-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't select a keyframe by left or right clicking it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can indeed select a keyframe by right clicking it> then scroll down to > 'Insert Keyframe' 

BUT I used to just click the frame> hit the key F6>voila keyframe, which is much faster. That doesn't work anymore. When I do that now, the entire layer gets selected and all of the frames on it turn into keyframes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh when I look at the shortcut keys behind the function I see that has changed since the update 😞 See attachment.

Is there a way I can change it? Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce this in 2020. When I single-click a frame on a populated layer and press F6, it creates a single keyframe at that frame.

Also, the mapping of F6 has not changed. Even back in CS6, F6 meant "Convert to Keyframes".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies. A strange rectangle pops up next to my mouse pointer when I hoover above a populated layer(see attachment) Or was it always there and I didn't notice..?

Or maybe something wrong with my pen?

I still cannot single click on a populated layer without selecting the entire layer. BTW it also happens on an empty layer.

I'll try installing previous version Animate and see if it changes.

IMG_20200107_221702400.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing strange about that rectangle. It indicates that the mouse cursor is over a selected span of the timeline. Flash and Animate have always shown that.

And what's this about a pen? Are you using a pen or a mouse to select frames on the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rectangle disappeared after I turned off Span Based Selection which was suggested by n_tilcheff. Everything(almost..) is working like it used to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Make sure you switch off "Span Based Selection" in Timeline hamburger menu:

Clipboard-1.png

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a beginner in animate, this was absolutely killing me. Thanks fro the solve kind stranger!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is very useful. Thank you very much for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines