Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Separate dialogue for each scene/movie clip

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have made my character, its head and its mouth a symbol, all three separate symbols. My character says: "Hey man!". However, I want to make a cartoon (2-3 minutes) out of it and add more lines, like "How are you?" and "I live here."

Now, in Scene 1 he says "Hey man", which is what I need. However, in Scene 2 I want the character just to say: "How are you?". But when I add this audio, he says the "Hey man" again in Scene 2 as well. I want him to only say: "How are you?" in Scene 2, without the "Hey man!". Also, I want the mouth poses/lip syncing to correspond with the "How are you?" audio in Scene 2.

So I was wondering, is there anyone who could help me out? I'd appreciate it a lot!

P.S. is the use of scenes a good option if you want to make a short cartoon movie, or is there a different, better approach?

Regards. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

The easiest way of achieving this would be to have your character as a Graphic symbol instance and inside of it you would have at least 3 layers:

- labels layer: "dialog1", "dialog2", "dialog3"...;

- texts layer: the speech balloons (supposing you have some);

- character layer: the actual character artwork.

Then, in the main timeline, your setup for each scene would be:

[scene 1]

- character layer: first frame property of your character set to the frame that matches the "dialog1" label. Let's say 1. Here you would set the sound to say "dialog1.wav" with the Sync set to Stream.

[scene 2]

- character layer: first frame property of your character set to the frame that matches the "dialog2" label. Let's say 72. Here you would set the sound to say "dialog2.wav" with the Sync set to Stream.

And so on.

Of course it would be easier to have the sounds inside of your character, but unfortunately this behavior seems to have changed in the latest releases of Animate CC and now it's not possible to play stream sounds inside of Graphic symbols instances in the main timeline. Or at least I don't know how.

And about using scenes, I think that they are great for pure animations with 0 or almost 0 interactivity. Also remember to use only Graphic symbols if your intended output is video so you won't have a hard time exporting your animation.

FLA download:

animate_cc_dialogs.zip - Google Drive

I hope this helps.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply!

I will try this method, hope it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great!

Please let us know!

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines