• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting paint to single layer instead of constant?

New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning Adobe community,

I'm not having any luck finding this paint duration window. I'm trying to switch my paint from constant to single layer, and I'm not able to locate this option in the paint brush tools or paint properties. I'm trying to paint frame by frame rather than my paint constantly being on each frame.

I'm thinking maybe I'm overlooking something or maybe I'm just not doing this correctly. 

I switched from after effects to animate, the after effects option for this was easy to find but its near impossible for me in animation. Can someone please help me with this issue? 

Thank you very much in advance 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Do you have trouble creating blank new frames?

Is that what you're asking?

If so use F7 and not F6 when you create a new frame to draw on.

If this is not what you are asking, try to explain with an example, maybe even screen grabs. You are not using the accepted terminology and it is difficult to understand what you are talking about.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that video should explain what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry for the jargon I use, I have prior expereince with after effects and that's how was explained to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again mate,

Cool! It's all clear now 🙂

If you really want to do frame by frame on every frame, you can click on your layer name to select the whole frame span and then hit F7 on the keyboard (on the mac from OS settings you have to enable function keys F1-F12) or right-click and choose Convert To Blank Keyframes (ignore my custom shortcut in the picture).

Clipboard-1.png

After that, your layer will look like this:

Clipboard-2.png

Each empty circle represents a blank keyframe that you can draw on.

If you want to work on twos, use this option:

Clipboard-4.png

Result:

Clipboard-5.png

so each drawing will last two frames.

At the bottom of the timeline thete is the Onion Skin button. If you press and hold it will pop out a menu and you can choose advanced onion skinning settings.

Clipboard-3.png

This will allow you to see your previous frames.

Have fun!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines