Highlighted

Should I stick with actionscript 3.0?

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm a longtime user of actionscript 3.0 and i use it to produce complex animations for video (exported as mp4, not web). I'm quite advanced and have a solid workflow that i've been perfecting over the years. I'm 100% happy with this but i'm slightly concerned, should I be thinking about migrating to Javascript? My concerns are that maybe Actionscript could be dropped by Animate at some point? But i'm also concerned that Javascpt is not as powerful with effects eg. 3D rotation.

Anyone else have any thoughts or advice?

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Should I stick with actionscript 3.0?

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm a longtime user of actionscript 3.0 and i use it to produce complex animations for video (exported as mp4, not web). I'm quite advanced and have a solid workflow that i've been perfecting over the years. I'm 100% happy with this but i'm slightly concerned, should I be thinking about migrating to Javascript? My concerns are that maybe Actionscript could be dropped by Animate at some point? But i'm also concerned that Javascpt is not as powerful with effects eg. 3D rotation.

Anyone else have any thoughts or advice?

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 19, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actionscript for web use is about to end and has been of questionable usefulness for the past few years.

actionscript for mobile looks questionable since adobe stopped supporting the air sdk.  this was the only use i've found for actionscript in the past few years but now that adobe's dropped air support i've moved to unity and c++.

i don't know why you'd use actionscript/animate for video.  a better tool would be premiere pro but if you're happy with what you're doing, i don't foresee any changes for animate/video production in the next year or two.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. You make some good points, I should point out that i don't use video, it's vector animation exported to video.

On doing some reseach into this area i've found an excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsGbBvRpfLU - it clears up alot of my confusion.

One of the first things an animator needs to do with Animate CC is choose a platform type. HTML5 canvas or ActionScript 3.0? BUILD FUN PROJECTS WITH ANIMATE ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2019 0
Enthusiast ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a sidenote: ActionScript is definetly still usefull. Harman is doing great job in supporting and developing AIR. They have serious plans for its future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2019 0