• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show/hide - Basic functionality

Participant ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, any idea why this code does not work as I think it should?

var _this = this;

_this.IN_mem.visible = true;
_this.IN_fig.visible = false;

stage.enableMouseOver(3);
_this.IN_btn.on('mouseover', function()
{
_this.IN_mem.visible = !_this.IN_mem.visible;
_this.IN_fig.visible = !_this.IN_fig.visible;
});

_this.IN_btn.on('mouseout', function()
{
_this.IN_mem.visible = !_this.IN_mem.visible;
_this.IN_fig.visible = !_this.IN_fig.visible;
});

What I would like is to have IN_mem visible and IN_fig invisible at the beginning.

Then when I mouseover the IN_btn I would like the reverse to happen: to have IN_mem invisible and IN_fig visible.

Then when I mouseout I would like to have the initial position: IN_mem visible and IN_fig invisible.

But what happens is:

When I mouseover:

• IN_mem disappears for a second and at the same time IN_fig appears for a second. Then they both go to their previous stages (IN_mem becomes visible again; IN_fig becomes invisible again)
  • But I would like them to STAY (IN_mem invisible and IN_fig visible) in their new statue for as long as I mouseout.

When I mouseout nothing happens.

I do not understand that behaviour.

Isn't 

_this.XXX.visible = !_this.XXX.visible;

supposed to do the oposite of the current visibility status and STAY in that status. Not return to the previous status after one second?

I also don't understand why nothing happens when I mouseout. But that's a secondary question, I suppose. I believe I should first be able to understand why mouseover isn't working as I think it should.

Thanks for any hint that you might have.

TOPICS
Code

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

You don't need to enable mouseover twice.

You only need to use the _this alias in your event handler functions. It doesn't hurt to use it everywhere, but it's unnecessarily verbose.

You shouldn't be using the ! operater at all, because that just confuses things. You don't want a toggle function, you want each event to set your objects to a specific visibility state. Just use true and false.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to enable mouseover twice.

You only need to use the _this alias in your event handler functions. It doesn't hurt to use it everywhere, but it's unnecessarily verbose.

You shouldn't be using the ! operater at all, because that just confuses things. You don't want a toggle function, you want each event to set your objects to a specific visibility state. Just use true and false.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks so much for your reply.

I've changed my code to (unfortunatelly I don't understand what you mean by _this alias, but I guess it's not a priority at the momemnt):

var _this = this;

{
_this.IN_mem.visible = false;
_this.IN_fig.visible = true;
});

{
});

When I run this code, same thing happens as before:

When I mouseover:

• IN_fig becomes visible for a second and disapperas again. At the same time IN_mem becomes invisible for a second and appears again.
  • Arent' they suppose to STAY in their new visibility state till I mouseout?

When I mouseout:

• Nothing happens.

It's a strange behaviour, isn't it? Do you have any idea what might be going wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_this is an alias to this.

What you're descibing shouldn't be happening. Try putting in your event handler functions:

console.log("mouseover");

and

console.log("mouseout");

I'll trust you to know which one goes where.

Then open the browser console (F12) while your page is running and you'll be able to see when each event handler fires.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've put them here:

var _this = this;

{
_this.IN_mem.visible = false;
_this.IN_fig.visible = true;
console.log("mouseover");
});

{
console.log("mouseout");
});

and it does happen: I do get mouseover written in the browser console once I mouseover and I do get mouseout written in the browser console once I mouseout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.

I've made another test on a clean file with only 3 simbols/objects (IN_fig, IN-mem and IN-btn) and it works as it should! Thank you!

This means something must be wrong with my entire file. Would it be possible that I have too many elements? Would you mind having a look at it at www.ortodroma.si/main/marketing. Could that be too many elements?

For your info:

• The LinkedIn only area is what in my initial example I call IN_btn.
  • The 3 little squares are IN_mem (mem for members)
  • The text is IN_fig (fig for figures)
  • Try mouseovering over the LinkedIn only area and you'll see the problem. Figures showing for a second and disapperaing. Members disappearing for a second and apperaing again.
  • The rest of the infographics is a mess. Please do not look at it.

Or should I open another thread for this?

In any case, thanks for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, my post was just marked as spam and my latest replay removed. What I tried to tell you is that I've opened a clean file and everything works as it should. Thank you for helping me. 

I guess the problem is my entire file and I'll have to figure it out what is going on in there.

In any case, with your help at least I know I'm on the right way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines