• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Narration in Flash

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m a programming novice.  I’m trying to play narration in Flash, but the playback is slow.  I tested one of the narrations and it played 8.6% slower in Flash than the original file.  This makes my narrator’s voice sound plodding, like Lurch.  Is this to be expected or is there something I can do to prevent it.

I’m using Flash C4.  I’ve imported the audio files into the library and I’m using action script to program buttons to play the sounds.  I’ve actually programmed two types of button.  One plays a narration once.  The other causes narration to play every time a frame is reached.  This can be toggled on and off.

I’ve tried importing the files as wav and mp3.  I’ve tried different settings of the Sound Properties dialog box including different compressions (MP3, Speech, etc.), and different bit rates and qualities.  I also experimented with the publish settings.  Nothing has made any difference.  Any suggestions?

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you add your sound to a timeline, assign its sync property to 'event'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I add sounds to the timeline won't they play automatically.  I need to give users the ability to toggle the narration on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion.  I just tried it to see how it would work, but no cigar.  When I added one of the narrations to the timeline and made sure the sync property was defined as event, it still dragged just as before.  Any other suggestions, anyone? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does that sound problem occur with all sound files?

when you don't add a sound, does your animation lag?  ie, is the actual frame rate the same as the stage property stage rate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The drag occurs with all the sounds in the file.  I just imported one of the narrations into a different file and it was still slow.  The stage rate does not seem to be affected.  The way I programmed it the narrations only play at keyframes where I've stopped the animation, and the narrations are silenced when I resume the animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you create a new fla and just import/play your narrations, is the sound distorted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestion but no luck.  I just created a new fla with nothing in it but one of the narrations added to one frame with a stop(); command.  It still dragged. 

While I'm thinking of it there's one other thing we tried that didn't help.  We tried playing the animations on another computer, but it still dragged.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I do appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no luck?

that is diagnostic.  the problem is your sound file.

open it in a sound editing program like audition and save it with a 44.1khz bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll look into that,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines