• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still having weird problems with motion tweens, should I be using After Effects instead?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a few weeks ago about how I was trying to create motion tweens with movie symbol objects and the symbol and the motion path kept moving to strange places and separate places on the canvas if I try to manipulate the symbol or the motion path in any way. Well, still can't get it to work and wondering if I am using the wrong program.  It is a scene with three butterflies that are movie symbols each on their own layer that flap their wings and then I want them to move.  In addition, there is a background layer, four moving clouds each on their own layer and a layer with a hot air balloon  which I want to fly off and another for the sandbags which I want to drop as the air balloon lifts.  Is this more of a "composite" and do I have too much going on?  Should I be using AfterEffects instead? I am very new to animating so I'm not sure if it is me, but when I posted about this problem before no one responded and I feel like I am doing something wrong here.  Thanks for any help.  I would really appreciate it.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tracy,

It is difficult to tell whether you have come across a bug or what you are experiencing is the result of user error.

Probably that is the reason no one responded earlier.

Here is some general advice: Do not use Motion Tweens. Use Classic Tween instead.

For the complex trajectories of the butterflies, use a Motion Guide over the Classic Tweened layer.

If your animation is not intended to be interactive, do not use Movie Clips. Use Graphic Symbols instead. They give you a lot more control over the timing.

Learn how to nest symbols and control nested timelines.

Nothing that is animated vector art can be too complex for Animate. Many TV series were made in Animate.

There are a lot of resources online and Animate themselves have some good tutorials although sometimes the information might seem contradictory. 

It really is very important to understand the differences between a Graphic and a Movie Clip symbol and use the type that you need.

I will offer some of my writings and examples which are specifically character animation orientated. It is possible that this is not what you are looking for, but may still be of use - at least some of the sample files.

https://flash-powertools.com/workflow/

https://flash-powertools.com/understanding-symbol-registration/

https://flash-powertools.com/character-rigging-for-flash-animation/

https://flash-powertools.com/edapt-movie-template-free-download/

Hope this helps you overcome the frustrations and start making progress!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank so much for the guidance. I will follow your recommendations. Thanks again very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick- 

Just want to thank you again for the articles and videos. Exactly what I needed. I watched A LOT of tutorial videos from Adobe and none of them mentioned these points. I feel like I am starting to get a much better understanding of how Animate actually works and how to build an efficient animation. Still have a lot to read and watch but it is starting to make sense and I so appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Tracy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick- 

Just want to thank you again for the articles and videos. Exactly what I needed. I watched A LOT of tutorial videos from Adobe and none of them mentioned these points. I feel like I am starting to get a much better understanding of how Animate actually works and how to build an efficient animation. Still have a lot to read and watch but it is starting to make sense and I so appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tracy,

I'm really glad to hear this! 

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this note. It is extremely rare.

I am aware of the general lack of holistic structured information about how Flash/Animate works. There are hundreds of tutorials giving contradicting directions and finding everything yourself by trial and error can be very discouraging.

I do hope that the interconnectedness of the various methods and procedures will fall into place now and once it starts making sense you will take off and be in control of your rigs and movies.

I wish you success!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines