Highlighted

The Bone Tool's NOT WORKING on symbols

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Bone tool works on other images that I draw.

But if I convert the image or fills into a symbol THE BONE TOOL NO LONGER WORKS.

It doesn't matter what KIND of symbol either. The Bone Tool doesn't work on ANY symbol.

What gives?

My computer and program are all up to date.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by _keyframer | Adobe Community Professional

Back to the original question. The Bone tool should of course work for symbols. What is interesting is how you said "But if I convert the image or fills into a symbol THE BONE TOOL NO LONGER WORKS."

From that statement it would seem like you have an existing armature with Bones already connected to objects. If you have a fill or an image already connected to bones and then convert the assets to symbols after, then try this:

Convert all assets to symbols first. Then apply bones.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

The Bone Tool's NOT WORKING on symbols

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Bone tool works on other images that I draw.

But if I convert the image or fills into a symbol THE BONE TOOL NO LONGER WORKS.

It doesn't matter what KIND of symbol either. The Bone Tool doesn't work on ANY symbol.

What gives?

My computer and program are all up to date.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by _keyframer | Adobe Community Professional

Back to the original question. The Bone tool should of course work for symbols. What is interesting is how you said "But if I convert the image or fills into a symbol THE BONE TOOL NO LONGER WORKS."

From that statement it would seem like you have an existing armature with Bones already connected to objects. If you have a fill or an image already connected to bones and then convert the assets to symbols after, then try this:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 08, 2019 1
Guide ,
Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bone tool is a waste of your time anyway, mate. Even if you make it 'work' on symbols, the way it works will not be worth the time...

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have run into issues with the bone tool. I would just save and restart animate and it seems to fix it.

But you should try the new layer parenting. Layer Parenting in Adobe Animate CC - YouTube

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 08, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The parenting tool would force me to completely redesign the symbols I already have. No thanks. I don't want to redraw 100s of symbols. I want this program I paid for to work the way it was advertised.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2019 0
Guide ,
Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience with Animate's Bone tool tells me to avoid it. Just not worth the hassle.

I am aware this is not the answer you are wanting to hear, but the Bone tool has had issues from day 1 since it was introduced, and if you are interested in an actual working IK bone solution that is dependable in production, you will have to look elsewhere, for example Moho, CelStudio, or Toonboom (Advanced or Premium). Or work with flat imported images in a 3d app such as Blender, Maya and rig these using IK tools.

Or use AfterEffects with the free DUIK rigging tools (this might be your best solution, since it will be easy to import your Animate drawings into After Effects). If only Animate had such a toolset...

https://rainboxprod.coop/en/tools/duik/

The new parenting tools might help, though. Don't know, I have no experience with those myself.

Otherwise I'd just avoid the Bone tool in Animate, because it is too fragile.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2019 1
Guide ,
Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only meaningful tutorial about rigging with the bone tool that I have ever seen.

https://youtu.be/v84zAJi704k

Hope it's of any help!

The problems, however, are not only with the particular implementation of IK, but the armature layers and the way keys, easing, etc. behave, even when everything works 'as advertised'.

Just be aware that Animate's bones are not considered to be a viable option within the animation industry. With insignificant exceptions such as borderline cases of tails or tentacles nested inside graphic symbols they are not used for animation.

Sorry to break the bad news, but this has been the consensus for years.

Classic and shape tweens give the flexibility and control that has made this program widely used for animation and that is why Adobe are now trying to come up with a system that utilizes this, i.e. the layer parenting.

Your third option is Smart Magnet Rigs.

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2019 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not really address the issue. I have gone through all of the process of conversion to symbols and the bone tool will not draw on them. I removed all the previous files that I loaded and converted and dragged on the symbols only from the library. The bone tool still would not work. The symbols are on place and the bone tool isn't working on them. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
LaneyG LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact issue. The bone tool appears to draw the "bones," but the little icon (of the circle with the diagonal line through it) indicates it's not applying anything, and the "bone" just disappears the moment I let up on the mouse. I quit and relaunched the application, and that does not help. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 1