Highlighted

the use of animate, effectivenes and updates

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for one thing, I would like to know for what things are people using animate today. When it was Flash, it was clear that the main use was to embed animations and interactive snippets inside web pages, but since basically all browsers have deprecated embedded flash player and even adobe retired support for flash inside web pages, it is also clear that if somebody pays to use animate today, that is not its main use

so I at least, and I believe many other people, use flash/animate to develop things that can run in multiple platforms and that while I develop those things, I may make use of the tools flash provide, instead of dealing with animations just by code. It is nice that if I intend to develop for multiple platforms, I don't have to keep rewriting everything again in the arbitrary language each platform makes up for themselves just to be different than everybody else, and make everything again in another language with different frameworks with different conventions. That part is nice

the thing is, if the current main purpose of using something like animate today is to develop for multiple platforms with one single development, and you have to pay to use this thing (there are others, some of them free, making aside the obvious unity), you expect that this part, releasing for multiple platforms, would work so animate would comply with its reason of being there

I am trying to develop some relatively simple thing; I was able to upload it to Google store, though I got a mail that said that from August this year (or November, but I think it was august), you could still upload 32 bit apps, but if from that date on your app did not include a 64 bits binary, it would not be displayed in the store for 64 bit capable devices. Ok, warning light, but at least the build is there for a few more months; though I wonder how is it gonna be when the app uses native extensions (like admob), and requires one 32 bit extension and another 64 bit extension

But then again there is Apple: for one thing, I tried to upload a thing, and first xcode gave me errors though animate generated the build without complains. xcode told me there were some missing icons and splash screens. ok, i made those splash screens and included the icons, but the first build that did not include those files, I made it following documentation either from adobe site or from searches, and the searches gave me results from lets say 4 or 5 years ago, when those files were not required. the documentation is obsolete. but, ok, i included required files and built again. This time xcode gave no error and I was able to upload successfully.. or so I thought.

Not by xcode, but just then I got a mail from apple telling me the build was rejected because i was missing some ´asset catalog´. ok, wasn't animate supposed to generate those files automatically? for one thing, ok, some icons are optional, but some are required. If some icons are required (including 1024 x 1024) now, why doesn't flash give an error if the build is not gonna get approved now without those files?

i changed the generated ipa to a .zip, and run a search on the extracted 'payload' directory; there was not a single file .car (the extension of the asset catalog file). I tried to add some missing files and try to re-upload, but oh surprise, xcode gives me an error because i have already used that version number and it generates an error about some redundant binary. ok, didn't I set the new version in the version field, in the box where you set up the parameters to publish for air in ios?

didn't I write 0.9.8 in that box, many times, closing the file and reopening again to check that this was the saved value? why does xcode keep telling me that i am gonna upload version 0.9.0 if I can see for myself it is written there in the document 0.9.8? is it an xcode error?

no, it turns out that if after renaming the ipa to .zip i check the files ended in xml or .plist, in one i am gonna find a string called versionNumber set to 0.9.0, and in the other i am gonna find a string called bundleshortversionstring and cfbundleversion, all set in 0.9.0

so i don't see the point that animate asks me the version if is not gonna set the version i tell it, and can not let me upload my work because a thing as simple as that, that I make a change but animate does not use what it asks me and i tell it in the build, even if just to check if this time it does not generate error because of the missing asset catalog

ok, but 'i can do it myself' (because animate would not do its job), and i can edit the .plist and the .xml (which is in an air directory) from 0.9.0 to 0.9.8; doesn't anything I do change the package and doesn't it have to be re-signed? oh but I can make that on my own also..hmm.. not sure, this is not a package generated by xcode but a package generated by animate-air; i don't know what half of those dirs mean, again, because animate would not do its job

so, the reason to use a paid tool like animate, with the idea of releasing to multiple platforms: android, yeah, i can upload my thing for now, with emphasis in for now. apple, not so. so what is the point for animate to even exists, if it does not even work for the thing that is supposed to be used? or maybe I am  mistaken, if people are not using animate to release to different platforms with a single development, how are people using animate today?

TOPICS
Discussions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

the use of animate, effectivenes and updates

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for one thing, I would like to know for what things are people using animate today. When it was Flash, it was clear that the main use was to embed animations and interactive snippets inside web pages, but since basically all browsers have deprecated embedded flash player and even adobe retired support for flash inside web pages, it is also clear that if somebody pays to use animate today, that is not its main use

so I at least, and I believe many other people, use flash/animate to develop things that can run in multiple platforms and that while I develop those things, I may make use of the tools flash provide, instead of dealing with animations just by code. It is nice that if I intend to develop for multiple platforms, I don't have to keep rewriting everything again in the arbitrary language each platform makes up for themselves just to be different than everybody else, and make everything again in another language with different frameworks with different conventions. That part is nice

the thing is, if the current main purpose of using something like animate today is to develop for multiple platforms with one single development, and you have to pay to use this thing (there are others, some of them free, making aside the obvious unity), you expect that this part, releasing for multiple platforms, would work so animate would comply with its reason of being there

I am trying to develop some relatively simple thing; I was able to upload it to Google store, though I got a mail that said that from August this year (or November, but I think it was august), you could still upload 32 bit apps, but if from that date on your app did not include a 64 bits binary, it would not be displayed in the store for 64 bit capable devices. Ok, warning light, but at least the build is there for a few more months; though I wonder how is it gonna be when the app uses native extensions (like admob), and requires one 32 bit extension and another 64 bit extension

But then again there is Apple: for one thing, I tried to upload a thing, and first xcode gave me errors though animate generated the build without complains. xcode told me there were some missing icons and splash screens. ok, i made those splash screens and included the icons, but the first build that did not include those files, I made it following documentation either from adobe site or from searches, and the searches gave me results from lets say 4 or 5 years ago, when those files were not required. the documentation is obsolete. but, ok, i included required files and built again. This time xcode gave no error and I was able to upload successfully.. or so I thought.

Not by xcode, but just then I got a mail from apple telling me the build was rejected because i was missing some ´asset catalog´. ok, wasn't animate supposed to generate those files automatically? for one thing, ok, some icons are optional, but some are required. If some icons are required (including 1024 x 1024) now, why doesn't flash give an error if the build is not gonna get approved now without those files?

i changed the generated ipa to a .zip, and run a search on the extracted 'payload' directory; there was not a single file .car (the extension of the asset catalog file). I tried to add some missing files and try to re-upload, but oh surprise, xcode gives me an error because i have already used that version number and it generates an error about some redundant binary. ok, didn't I set the new version in the version field, in the box where you set up the parameters to publish for air in ios?

didn't I write 0.9.8 in that box, many times, closing the file and reopening again to check that this was the saved value? why does xcode keep telling me that i am gonna upload version 0.9.0 if I can see for myself it is written there in the document 0.9.8? is it an xcode error?

no, it turns out that if after renaming the ipa to .zip i check the files ended in xml or .plist, in one i am gonna find a string called versionNumber set to 0.9.0, and in the other i am gonna find a string called bundleshortversionstring and cfbundleversion, all set in 0.9.0

so i don't see the point that animate asks me the version if is not gonna set the version i tell it, and can not let me upload my work because a thing as simple as that, that I make a change but animate does not use what it asks me and i tell it in the build, even if just to check if this time it does not generate error because of the missing asset catalog

ok, but 'i can do it myself' (because animate would not do its job), and i can edit the .plist and the .xml (which is in an air directory) from 0.9.0 to 0.9.8; doesn't anything I do change the package and doesn't it have to be re-signed? oh but I can make that on my own also..hmm.. not sure, this is not a package generated by xcode but a package generated by animate-air; i don't know what half of those dirs mean, again, because animate would not do its job

so, the reason to use a paid tool like animate, with the idea of releasing to multiple platforms: android, yeah, i can upload my thing for now, with emphasis in for now. apple, not so. so what is the point for animate to even exists, if it does not even work for the thing that is supposed to be used? or maybe I am  mistaken, if people are not using animate to release to different platforms with a single development, how are people using animate today?

TOPICS
Discussions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 18, 2019 0
Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, VooDoo Chicken.

I'm using Animate + AIR to develop 2D games for iOS and Android. Since the first iPad hit the market in 2010 I've coded in Objective C and Java, used Phonegap, HTML5 and Unity on various iOS/Android projects, but nothing comes close to the ease of making apps with Animate and AIR. In total I have 38 apps live on the two stores and have good routines on the whole developing - publishing process.

However, as you comment, Adobe does not do a good job on updating their docs on how you go about making cross platform AIR apps and games. And Animate should indeed generate the required asset catalog for us. Also, Adobe should deliver an AIR Roadmap Update as Chris Campbell promised back in 2017 on the AIR forums.

Maybe someone from Adobe can enlighten us here on this forum?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2019 3
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/VooDoo+Chicken  wrote

for one thing, I would like to know for what things are people using animate today. When it was Flash, it was clear that the main use was to embed animations and interactive snippets inside web pages, but since basically all browsers have deprecated embedded flash player and even adobe retired support for flash inside web pages, it is also clear that if somebody pays to use animate today, that is not its main use.

Uhh... you know the entire point of the HTML5 Canvas document type is to embed animations and interactivity in web pages, yes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2019 1
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ClayUUID, you're of course right that the HTML5 Canvas document type is for web interactivity But VooDoo Chicken still has a fair point when it comes to Animate being a tool for cross platform development. In many ways it beats all competition, but somehow Adobe is worryingly quiet about the AIR part of Animate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2019 1
Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VooDoo Chicken, the main reason I use Animate is to build my apps on both platforms: Android and iOS.

I agree with you. Some years ago it was quite easy, then it began to get more complicated because some iOS requirements. I was having similar problems and I know almost no code at all, so last year I wrote this:

Request for an update on the steps required to successfully build an iOS app with Adobe Animate CC

I did not get a real answer from Adobe. However, with the help of Colin Holgate (who always gives clear answers) I found my way through several of the issues you mention regarding iOS and I wrote a "guide" on what I did. You may find it useful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Paul, that was very nice and indeed would have been very helpful in other circumstances; unluckily from now on, the current version of air will no longer be useful for ios builds, as xcode gives a message that from March 019 all builds must use api 12 or something like that that is not currently being used by air, so unless air changes its runtime binary, no matter how many tweaks and files you add to your project, it will not be uploaded. Also, the ane-lab module looked very promising, but then again, 'mojave'. it means that this module can no longer be installed, because it does not come from a recognized developer

I see fails on both Adobe and Apple. Adobe seems more concerned in adding more stuff that not many people need or care about than trying to get right what they already have. There is a saying about releasing something good enough vs releasing something excellent, having the same cost from scratch to good enough than from good to excellent. In new versions, of course is more marketable to talk about the new things than to say 'we fixed the bugs', but since flash is no longer macromedia but adobe, it has been a total mess every time they attempt something. when they came with actionscript 3, it was more powerful and faster (and really object oriented), but also full of bugs. when they attempted the first air versions (i am aware of cs 5.5), it was also full of bugs and you were lucky if the execution in mobile versions resembled the desktop version and didn't add new bugs (like something sent to garbage collection when removed from stage instead of being dereferenced, so I had to send them to an invisible container so the objects would not get deleted, and reset in a weird state), or the mouse events acting 'funky' (like executing the wrong event handler -like mouse up when the finger was still touching the screen-, or giving the touch screen a seizure and not receiving or receiving touch events in the wrong way, etc etc. just a total mess). but since 'good enough' is totally subjective (and mediocre may be good enough for some people depending on which side are you on), they are making us a favor by simply selling it to us, even if they are charging money for it, whether you need new features or not

for one thing they should update their documentation. if default documentation is no longer accurate, then it should not be default documentation. also they should update procedures, and fix bugs, and since in particular apple requirements keep changing all the time, maybe these should be set in a separate module (like the ane-lab you reference), so its easier to update instead of updating the whole application. and of course update docs every time that happens

on the apple side, well, they are full of *. they keep changing requirements without any discernible advantage either to the user or developer, and seems they are doing what microsoft did in the 90s and 2000. they released a lot of proprietary formats (even their own proprietary html) so to watch certain web pages or certain media, you required a windows machine, even if those formats and whatever were just the same as every other format, but could only be opened with their brand. desktop apple devices have been turning into consumer devices instead of developer devices (devices intended to consume content, not to create it), so in your desktop or laptop, you now run 'apps', and your laptop is basically a giant shiny cell phone designed to be seen and consume content (with auto-correction and all, and a single menu instead of each window having its own menu, garbage like that). they may not be aware, but without apps there is no reason to buy their devices, and they also get revenue from apps, so they may want to reconsider being a pain in the a$$ to developers just because

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2019 0
Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi VooDoo,

Let´s hope that the new requirements from apple wont include too many sofistications.

Let´s hope that the new requirements for iOS 12.1 will be handled with the new AIR SDK and let´s hope that we will be able to keep building iOS and android apps with not so many headaches.

In my experience, being quite ignorant about many things a developer should know, I have allways found here in the forums a helping hand from other great independant developers.

As a matter of fact: I was able to upload today an app for testflight without the new requirements, just for testing. I´m saying this just fr you to know that you can keep uploading for testflight while the new AIR SDK arrives.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 01, 2019 0