• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There seems to be a bug in animate when it comes to changing fill and stroke colors once applied

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes Animate no longer allows me to change the color on fills/strokes with the color tab. I can only change via the strokes and fill tab - which only allows access to swatches or the more obtuse color picker attached to the swatch tab. The regular color picker no longer has any effect. The color in the tab will look like it's working then immediately reverts to the previous color.

The only way to get it working correctly again is to close the program and open it again - then it may work for five minutes or so before it reverts again. This has been going on for quite some time - erratically though. Sometimes it will be fine for days, then out of the blue it goes haywire again.

Also when it is in this uncooperative state, if I select a color via the color tab and attempt to add it to my swatches, it immediately reverts to the previous color and saves the previous color as a swatch. The only way to get it back is to close the program and restart. And then it will work correctly for a while till the bug shows up again.

Quite crazy making.
I am using Animate 20 - it also did it in 19. I'm on a Mac os 10.13.6

Note: 4/12 it still is happening at least once a day. Most times the only way to stop it is to turn off my computer and reboot. Same with my laptop. Truly crazy making. I am took a screen video of the behavior today. (Below- the attached FlashBug. mov)

TOPICS
Error , Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Just a guess:

Is it possible that some other program such as a browser or instant messenger is partly stealing focus from Animate?

To see if this may be a reason try to minimise and maximise the program, do a few clicks on the timeline and stage and try the color again to see if there is a change in behaviour.

Also check if Animate has the right privileges on your mac.

One of the devs posted this image some time ago as a potential solution to color picker problems:

Color Picker on Mac.png

To define and investigate something as a bug, it has to be reproducible under clear circumstances on multiple computers.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is what my Privacy settings look like (below). As far as I understand this, this setting is correct with regard to permissions and Animate. I have had this same thing happen on both my laptop and my desktop. So it is happening on multiple devices. I do not know what instigates it. It typically just crops up mid project while I've been working for a bit. Today it took about an hour before it started. This time when I closed out the program and restarted, the issue still occurred and it did so immediately. I had to turn off my computer, and then restart and relaunch Animate before the color tab was behaving again.

Clicking on the timeline didn't change the behavior. So far the only thing that works is closing/retarting the program, or if needed restarting the computer.

I posted as I figured someone else must have had this issue as well - it has been going on for a while - I have searched but never see any posts about it. Typically I am in the midst of a project and do not have time to post to forums... thought perhaps others may be looking as well. So, am just putting this out there.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 5.56.33 PM.png

note: I think the reason that there are two drivers for Wacom is I sometimes use a Cintiq and sometimes I use a tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, mate,

Sounds serious and very unpleasant.

I frequent these forums and have not seen anyone report this before, but the current version seems to be plagued with all kinds of very serious issues.

I have personally written off recent versions of Animate. They are unreliable for my professional work, but I still have to do a lot of testing because of our tools. I've seen 7-8 times 2020 terminate itself after just being left minimised for some time. Thought it was due to a memory leak, but couldn't verify it.

Maybe if you can screen capture the behaviour on video you should post it here and also submit a bug report.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nick, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond and throw out some ideas. At the moment everything is working fine as I restarted my computer. It may flare up again today, or perhaps not for another week or two. I will see if I can identify anything specific that sets it off. In the meantime, this is here in case there are others googling but not posting like I have been. Perhaps there are clues out there in the experiences of others, if by chance anyone else is experiencing this. Or perhaps it is simply my own personal gremlins. As it was doing it in both Animate 19 and this newly downloaded 20, I don't think it is a corrupted app. I was hoping it would disappear when I updated to 20.

Time will tell. Stay healthy. It is a crazy world out there at the moment, but at least there are a lot of really good people out there as well. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, mate!

You, too, take care.

It's great that you reported it. Flagging problems is the only way to get things fixed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ElectricDog and Flanimate are pretty awesome. I checked out your site- great work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful illustrations and designs, Paul! Wow!

You probably don't do character animation in Animate, but if you do, you should check out our tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yes, I noticed your cool tools. Once I finish this existing project, I'd like to take the time and explore your tools. I have bookmarked it for later.

I build characters and backgrounds - I used to do mostly backgrounds, but these days I'm creating just as many characters and their libraries. I hand what I do off to the animators to do their magic- but I do have to create the parts to do whatever needs to be done... so if a duck needs to do a cartwheel, I essentially have to animate it - but I leave the timing and fine tuning to the animator. I look forward to exploring your stuff. Best of wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... this is still happening... pretty much on a daily basis. I've been working in Animate today for about 4 hours, and the bug cropped up again. I restarted the program to no effect. I restarted my computer and it worked fine - as it should for about 10 minutes, and now it appears I need to restart my computer again. I can't express how annoying this is. I am hoping that someone out there has had experience with this and can offer advice. Having to repeatedly restart my computer for the program to function correctly is not an efficient work process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - Does this happen when something is selected on stage? Is it possible for you to share a screen recording of the issue that you are facing to mohanraj@adobe.com

BTW your assets look amazing!

Thanks!

Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines