Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save the document as…

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Everyone

This has become a constant problem over the last few weeks. In the midst of working, my Animate file refuses to save, and then the last-saved version of this very file will also not open anymore, saying "An error occurred opening file…". The only way to recover my work is to go back with time machine and pray that the latest version was automatically saved with the last update, which isn't always the case. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the software or maybe something connected to the new google drive system we installed at work a few weeks ago; could be a coincidence. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks so much

incubo

Running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3

Adobe Animate Creative Cloud (latest update installed)

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 16.28.34 copy copy.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Yep. This is real problem and obviously  a new bug!
It happens one a week (in my case) with no reasons at all. Just happens
It has solution:
1. Just save your work as .XFL file (there is a choice in "Save as" dialog)
It works
2. Restart Animate
3. Open it and save again as a new FLA

Voila!

But its certainly has to be fixed!

Screenshot 2018-07-08 15.17.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, "google drive system" sounds like the culprit. Based on your screen shot tho, it looks like you are saving to a local folder correct?

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's why I added the screenshot - it doesn't look like it is being saved there - I'm just placing the files into a folder on the desktop - but I nevertheless wonder if it might not have some effect on my files. I'll try saving directly in google drive and see if the problems stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "placing" the files there, what do you mean? "Placing" sounds like you are dragging to the folder to move or copy them there.

I've never had an issue saving files locally and seeing that error. If you save to an external drive and that drive becomes unavailable for reasons related to connectivity issues, then that error would make sense. But if it's a local folder you have permissions to then you should be okay. Do you have admin rights as a user of this machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a poor choice of word, "placing". It's just where I choose to save the files. Yes, I have all the admin rights and am the only user of this laptop, it is very odd.

So far the dreaded error hasn't arisen since moving the files onto google drive; on the other hand I won't be able to use time machine from there. It's still preferable I suppose.

Thanks for your continued support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. I suspect it is not an OS issue or rights issue then. Especially if there are no problems reading/writing to the same folder via other applications.

One more question; any imported assets such as bitmaps in these FLA files in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are various JPGs I imported into the library. Would that matter? The latest file I've been working on doesn't have any. Again, it's been working flawlessly on Google Drive, but maybe that's not the cause! I'll try to see what happens on my desktop if I delete the JPGs. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the same thing happened to a document within drive just now, and because it wasn't saved on the computer I couldn't use time machine to retrieve it, which is really not great. This one too had JPGs in its library. I will keep an eye on that, but clearly it has nothing to do with where the document is being saved and the timing of this problem was a coincidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. This is real problem and obviously  a new bug!
It happens one a week (in my case) with no reasons at all. Just happens
It has solution:
1. Just save your work as .XFL file (there is a choice in "Save as" dialog)
It works
2. Restart Animate
3. Open it and save again as a new FLA

Voila!

But its certainly has to be fixed!

Screenshot 2018-07-08 15.17.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, can't wait to try this out! Thank you for your advice!

Update: Already got a chance to test this and it works beautifully. Thank you so much for saving all that work I keep losing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not working for me. I have the same issue with animate 2018, 2017 ad 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

still hasnt been fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also encounter this issue after upgrading to CC 2019 from CC 2017.  Tried Samoleg's answer but doesn't help. I can't save as FLA or publish as html. The only way to save the file is as XFL.

Auto-save also prompt the error.

I can't believe a simple function like this could be so troublesome and requires workaround by user.

macOS High Sierra version 10.13.4

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB

Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Are you trying to save your FLAs locally or on some server/network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried saving it as XFL but it still doesnt work. not even saving it as a .FLA file.

My version of adobe animate is adobe animate 2019.

and my operating system is windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines