• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown error; quitting application

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help - every few minutes Adobe Animate is freezing with the error message "Unknown error; quitting application" and the only thing I can click is "OK", after which it gives me the option to save my project (if it needs saving) before it quits out. The cause of the freeze is a mystery - it can happen when I'm not doing anything or even immediately after it's opened. I've updated to the latest version, trashed my preferences, updated my tablet driver - it's still happening.

I have a huge amount of work I need to do in Animate and I desperately need it to stop doing this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

It's already quite bad, so it may be worthwhile uninstalling, cleaning up and reinstalling Animate.

Since the 'unknown' nature of the error it can be something related to your system, a service being blocked, conflict for resources coming from another piece of software, RAM problems, even HDD/SSD issues.

If it started giving you this error recently and you have an OS backup/snapshot/image, it may be good to try and roll back.

Next things to try are running RAM tests, HDD tests, OS re-install, working on a different computer until you find out what is wrong with this one.

Good luck!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a simple workaround, I realised - the first time it happens in a session, I just click OK and then when it gives me the option to save, I click CANCEL. The software continues working and I don't get bothered by the (apparently completely false) error until the next time I open Animate.

Weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this then be related to your auto-recovery file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose it makes sense that the error occurs the first time it tries to Autosave ( I have it set to autosave every 10 mins) but once I click cancel, it successfully saves to the recovery file every 10 minutes like it's meant to. I don't know - could it be having a trouble initially creating the recovery file or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.. you can switch Auto-recovery off for a while to see if errors will disappear.

(I keep saving my own versions of the files several times a day and never rely on Auto-recovery, so I disable it to not slow me down or write files in system folders on background.)

I've seen too many people here crying and pulling their hair that when I a FLA gets corrupted auto-recovery copy is also useless, so I don't trust it at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've switched Auto-recovery off the last few days and it still happens, so I guess that's not part of it. As I said, it's not even a problem anymore - just an inaccurate message I have to click to ignore once per session. I'll have to see if it happens with other project files but I won't know for a few months because I'll be working on this same one for a while. Thanks for all the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good luck with your work, mate!

And thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines