Highlighted

Use the Warp Asset tool along with Motion Tweens on the same animated character

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am new to Adobe Animate, and have so far successfully managed to animate my own drawing (a waving woman) with classic tweens, warp asset tool and even motion tweens. I am familiar with how to import, split to frames/layers, how to use the timeline, etc. Successfully animated means it doesn't necessarily look nice yet but I get how to move my drawing.

That said, I stumbled over something that seems to have come up previously, see https://community.adobe.com/t5/Animate/Is-there-a-way-to-bend-an-object/m-p/10167570#M186969, very last answer.

The situation:

Successfully, whether with classic tweens or motion tweens you have moved your character. However single details, like a foot ankle, maybe an elbow, would just be fantastic to edit further with the warp asset tool.

Or let's go further a bit, you have yourself a sci-fi worm- body with arms and fingers. Ideally, you use motion/classic for the "stiff parts" but warp for the worm body.

It seems though, no matter what I try, as soon I use the warp tool, I cannot anymore apply motion tweens or classic tweens and vice-versa, when using either of the tweenings, I cannot apply warp tool on 

Question

Is there something I (clearly) miss?

I want to use the warp tool on parts of my character, that all-together (and its single parts like arms, legs) are animated with tweening.

Things tried

I also tried this with very simple content, and could not figure out how to warp AND motion something at the same time.

During my initial confrontation with Adobe Animate, I noticed many "differences", like if you do X before Y things will work differently than if you do Y before X.

So I assume the complexity of Adobe Animate is so profound, that I simply miss a simple detail and above question I have, is just trivial in answer - I hope?

Thanks to anyone who can help me, and I hope I have included all that's needed/posted in the right forum!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Use the Warp Asset tool along with Motion Tweens on the same animated character

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am new to Adobe Animate, and have so far successfully managed to animate my own drawing (a waving woman) with classic tweens, warp asset tool and even motion tweens. I am familiar with how to import, split to frames/layers, how to use the timeline, etc. Successfully animated means it doesn't necessarily look nice yet but I get how to move my drawing.

That said, I stumbled over something that seems to have come up previously, see https://community.adobe.com/t5/Animate/Is-there-a-way-to-bend-an-object/m-p/10167570#M186969, very last answer.

The situation:

Successfully, whether with classic tweens or motion tweens you have moved your character. However single details, like a foot ankle, maybe an elbow, would just be fantastic to edit further with the warp asset tool.

Or let's go further a bit, you have yourself a sci-fi worm- body with arms and fingers. Ideally, you use motion/classic for the "stiff parts" but warp for the worm body.

It seems though, no matter what I try, as soon I use the warp tool, I cannot anymore apply motion tweens or classic tweens and vice-versa, when using either of the tweenings, I cannot apply warp tool on 

Question

Is there something I (clearly) miss?

I want to use the warp tool on parts of my character, that all-together (and its single parts like arms, legs) are animated with tweening.

Things tried

I also tried this with very simple content, and could not figure out how to warp AND motion something at the same time.

During my initial confrontation with Adobe Animate, I noticed many "differences", like if you do X before Y things will work differently than if you do Y before X.

So I assume the complexity of Adobe Animate is so profound, that I simply miss a simple detail and above question I have, is just trivial in answer - I hope?

Thanks to anyone who can help me, and I hope I have included all that's needed/posted in the right forum!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 19, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an update, I was able to move with a Classic Tween, then double-clicking the item I want to warp, I can warp it and create a new identical timeline to the main timeline for this single item.

I can then go back to the main timeline, and both animations - the physical move with classic tween and warp works

I was not able to do the same with move tweens, not sure why.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2019 0
Guide ,
Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

Just a short note in hope to save you from some pain and frustration.

No one really uses Motion Tweens and Bones for character animation.

Nothing wrong to spend some time exploring them, but overall their usefullness is very limited, bordering with zero.

As for the rest, you wrap Shape Tweens and Warps in Graphic containers if you need to be able to do one thing inside and another on the outside. You need to learn how to nest symbols.

Here are some articles which I have written over the years that may help you better understand how character animation is done in Flash/Animate.

http://flash-powertools.com/workflow/

http://flash-powertools.com/character-rigging-for-flash-animation/

And some sample files that you can download from our site: http://flash-powertools.com/tag/free-download/

Good luck!

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I got confused by Adobe's own words that the classic twins are there for legacy support and transition time only, so meaning in future that's gone (?)

I was reading your articles there, I totally agree with the destructive moment these programs have.

I will need some time to read thru it all and get familiar with the keyboard shortcuts.

I have hopes for apple's sidecar allowing adobe animate to maybe integrate the iPad more .... will see

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2019 1
Guide ,
Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't worry at all about Classic Tweens becoming obsolete.

From the day they were released Motion Tweens were seen as a complete failure by the animation community and their rejection has been very loud and clear. That was many years ago.

Now the Classic Tweens are given some potentially bright future with Layer Parenting.

This new functionality is still rough and not ready for serious use, but it has potential and I'm hopeful that in the next two years it will be developed into a flexible and coherent system.

Best!

- Nick: Character designer and animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2019 0